Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- Milwaukee, WI: "The Princess Bride" Event Coming to the Riverside Theater [7/24]
- North Haven, CT: Cinemark North Haven and XD Now Open [7/24]
- Athens, GA: Carmike Ovation 12 Opens After Renovations [7/20]
- Washington, DC: West End Cinema Reopened by Landmark Theatres [7/15]
- Cary, NC: Frank Theatres - Parkside Town Commons Stadium 11 & Xtreme Now Open [7/14]
- Malco Theatres Kids Summer Film Fest 2015 [6/30]
- 2015 Summer Movie Series at Georgia Theatre Company Locations [6/30]
- Kids Summer Movies Playing at UltraStar Cinemas in 2015 [6/30]
- Carmike Cinemas Offers Summer Kids Series 2015 [6/30]
- Wehrenberg Theatres Family Summer Series - 10 Movies for $1 Each [6/30]
The Retro Dome in San Jose, California will be closing its doors after its last show on Sunday, January 20, 2013, according to posts on its web site and Facebook page.
The theater's closure this month was originally announced back in October via an E-Mail newsletter by owner Guggenheim Entertainment, Inc., which identifies the cause as the loss of their lease due to the demolition of the theater to make room for more retail space on the property:
If you've been following the birth and life of The Retro Dome you know we opened September 4, 2009 with the knowledge that our time in the space might be temporary because the owners of the building planned to demolish the property at some point down the road. Now, just weeks into what would be our fourth year in business, we've learned our lease will not be renewed for the time has come to begin the renovations for the corner lot. Therefore, it is our sad duty to report that operations at the The Retro Dome will cease as of January 31, 2013. We appreciate the time that the building owners, Federal Realty, have given us at The Retro Dome site. They have always been clear with their plans and we wish them well in their future development.
The theater just finished showing Grease Sing-Along this weekend, and next weekend will end with Raiders of the Lost Ark in a "quote-along" format. To find showtimes, please visit their Showtimes page, and if you would like to leave a message about your experiences at the theater, please go to the Reader Comments page and let everyone know what it was like to go to The Retro Dome! If you have any photos of the exterior, road-frontage, and interiors of the theater, please send them to us so that we can add them to the Photo Gallery for archiving after its gone.
The theater was originally the Century San Jose 25 2, which opened in 1969 as a single-screen location in 1969. It was twinned in 1974 and showed movies through 2009. On September 4, 2009, it became The Retro Dome under the ownership of Guggenheim Entertainment, LLC. and they showed live performances in one auditorium and played movies on DVD, HD DVD, and Blu-ray discs in the other auditorium.
Photo above is courtesy of The Retro Dome
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.