Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- Palm Desert, CA: Tristone Cinemas to Take Over After Cinémas Palme d'Or Closes [4/27]
- Palm Desert, CA: Cinémas Palme d'Or Blames Cinemark for Putting It Out of Business [4/27]
- Forest Hills, NY: Cinemart Cinemas Closed Until May 26, 2016 for Renovations [4/27]
- Battle Creek, MI: NCG - Battle Creek to Open April 29, 2016 [4/26]
- Kings Mountain, NC: New Hounds Drive-In Opening Soon [4/21]
- Taylor, MI: Cinemark Southland Center and XD Opens Today [4/21]
- St. Petersburg, FL: Cobb Theatres - Tyrone Luxury 10 Now Open [4/18]
- Kapolei, HI: Regal Kapolei Commons 12 Opening April 21, 2016 [4/18]
- Country Club Hills, IL: Marcus Theatres Buys Closed AMC Loews Country Club Hills 16 [4/14]
- Steven Spielberg and Harrison Ford Reunite for New Indiana Jones Movie in 2019 [4/12]
The Plaza Cinemas at Chapel Hill in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio closed January 4, 2013. The closing of the Akron-area theater was first announced in December in an article publised in the Akron Beacon Journal:
Plaza Cinemas at Chapel Hill will shut down early next year, about two months after celebrating its 25th anniversary.
The eight-screen complex, part of The Plaza at Chapel Hill shopping strip off Howe Avenue, will show movies through Jan. 3 and then cease operations, said David Huffman, director of marketing for the theater’s operator, regional chain Cleveland Cinemas of Solon.
Huffman said Cleveland Cinemas has been operating the theater under a management agreement with Plaza at Chapel Hill owner Visconsi Cos. Ltd., and Visconsi wants to find another use for the property.
Click the Read link below to view the full article.
An article a few days later in the Record-Courier quotes David Huffman about the future use of the building:
...Visconsi has decided the property "is going to be used for a new purpose, but I'm not entirely sure what that purpose is." However, he added, "it's not going to be a theater."
The theater opened in the late 1980's as the GCC The Plaza 8 by General Cinema. It became part of AMC Entertainment in 2002, when the latter bought the former, and renamed AMC The Plaza 8 at Chapel Hill. AMC sold it to Cleveland Cinemas in February 2008 and its name was changed to Plaza Cinemas at Chapel Hill.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.