Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Bonham Theater
Add Your Comments
- Montgomery, AL: Evans Theatres - Eastdale Mall 8 Opening August 19, 2016 [7/26]
- Middletown, PA: Council Hears Support and Ideas for the Elks Theatre [7/25]
- Palo Alto, CA: CineArts Palo Alto Square to Close in August 2016 [7/25]
- Variety: "The Divergent Series: Allegiant" to Skip Theaters, Launch as a TV Movie and Spinoff Series [7/21]
- Falmouth, ME: Flagship Premium Cinemas Now Open [7/20]
- AMC Theatres to Acquire Odeon & UCI Cinemas Group, the Largest Theater Chain in Europe [7/13]
- Westbrook, ME: Prides Corner Drive-In Not Yet Open for 2016, Future is Uncertain [7/13]
- Menomonee Falls, WI: Marcus Menomonee Falls Cinemas Getting Take Five and Zaffiro's [6/30]
- Grand Junction, CO: Carmike 7 Closed [6/24]
- Lake Charles, LA: Cinemark Movie Bistro Lake Charles Holds Grand Opening [6/23]
The Bonham Theater in Fairbury, Nebraska closed August 2, 2012 after the theater's owner decided that he couldn't pay the costs of converting the two-screen theater to Digital Cinema Projection systems. (read the Journal article)
The building was sold to a non-profit group, The Bonham Theatre Project, on January 4, 2013 at a sheriff's sale, according to an article in the Lincoln Journal Star:
The underbelly of the Bonham Theatre marquee has gaping holes and needs repairs, as do the roof, furnace, box office and concession stand, sound and projection systems, bathrooms and fire exits.The Bonham Theatre Project Board, a community group organized in October, knew it had a white elephant on its hands when it bought the 87-year-old building at a sheriff's sale Jan. 4. Not surprisingly, it was the only bidder.
"We're a small town that needs a theater and not let another building rot," board member Brooke Schwab said during a recent tour of the two-story building just off the courthouse square.
Click the Read link below to view the full article and some recent photos.
According to an article published in The Fairbury Journal-News, the theater sold for the minimum bid of $24,550, and the group was the only bidder.
The Lincoln Journal-Star mentions that they are hoping to raise $250,000-$300,000 to restore the theater. They are hoping for donations, not only of cash, but also of time, materials, and even livestock, to reach their goal. If you would like to get involved, check out the group's Facebook page for more information.
The theater was built in 1926 as a result of a collaboration between local investors and Universal Pictures. While it's not possible for movie studios to be involved in movie theaters any longer, the theater's best chance for success is the combination of local support and a grant from Save America's Cinemas, which is a non-profit group whose goal is to help small-town cinemas convert to the new projection systems.
Related News Articles
- Local Group Buys Bonham Theater -- The Fairbury Journal News [Jan 4, 2013]
- Fairbury's movie theatre has received a pledge from Save America’s Cinema. -- 1450 KWBE [Jan 15, 2013]
- Fairbury group launches drive to restore theater -- Lincoln Journal-Star [Jan 20, 2013]
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.