Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Daniel M. Soref National Geographic Dome Theater
Add Your Comments
- Lynchburg, VA: Cinemark Movies 10 Closed [11/27]
- Longmont, CO: Regal Village at the Peaks 12 & RPX Now Open [11/27]
- Superior, WI: Marcus Superior Value Cinema to Close December 6, 2015 [11/27]
- Greenfield, WI: Silver Cinemas - Budget South Closed [11/24]
- Bakersfield, CA: IMAX Coming to Reading Cinemas Valley Plaza 16 [11/23]
- Pagedale, MO: 24:1 Cinema Now Open [11/23]
- Wentzville, MO: B & B Wentzville Tower 12 Now Open [11/23]
- Princeton, NJ: AMC Marketfair 10 Now Open [11/23]
- Tacoma, WA: Century Point Ruston and XD Now Open [11/19]
- "Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens" in Dolby Cinema [11/17]
The Milwaukee Public Museum in Milwaukee, Wisconsin has dropped their connection with IMAX for their dome theater, the Humphrey IMAX Dome Theater, and have changed the name of the theater as well.
The theater will now be known as the Daniel M. Soref National Geographic Dome Theater, which will focus on educational documentaries and planetarium shows. Currently playing at the theater are To the Arctic, Wildest Weather in the Solar System, and Flying Monsters 3D. The photo to the left was taken in 2010, so we'll need to get an updated photo to replace it.
An article published on jsonline.com on Friday quotes a Milwaukee Public Museum spokesperson about the switch in association from IMAX to National Geographic:
"The National Geographic films are made specifically for educational facilities like the museum. You won't see them on the National Geographic Channel," [museum spokeswoman Mary Bridges] said.
She added that although giant-screen films will continue to be shown at the venue, IMAX offerings will be less frequent.
"IMAX films are really getting commercial, and we are an educational entity," Bridges said.
Click the Read link below to view the full article.
The dome theater broke ground in 1994 and opened in 1996. When IMAX increased their releases of converted mainstream movies, the museum's theater joined in, but the curvature of the dome theater distorted the picture, unlike the traditional flat IMAX screen installed at the AMC Mayfair Mall 18 in the Mayfair Mall in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin in 2009. In December of 2009, museum officials were beginning to debate the future of the IMAX theater, and now, three years later, we're seeing their answer.
Given that a museum's core pursuit is education, it makes sense for them to concentrate on educational movies. As IMAX chases box office receipts with even more mainstream movies, shifting to a company more in line with those educational goals is a good idea.
Photo above Copyright © 2010 SVJ Designs, LLC All Rights Reserved. Thanks to reader Ron H. for passing this information along!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.