Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- Boulder, CO: Boulder Art Cinema Ends After Poor Attendance [7/30]
- Montgomery, AL: Evans Theatres - Eastdale Mall 8 Opening August 19, 2016 [7/26]
- Middletown, PA: Council Hears Support and Ideas for the Elks Theatre [7/25]
- Palo Alto, CA: CineArts Palo Alto Square to Close in August 2016 [7/25]
- Variety: "The Divergent Series: Allegiant" to Skip Theaters, Launch as a TV Movie and Spinoff Series [7/21]
- Falmouth, ME: Flagship Premium Cinemas Now Open [7/20]
- AMC Theatres to Acquire Odeon & UCI Cinemas Group, the Largest Theater Chain in Europe [7/13]
- Westbrook, ME: Prides Corner Drive-In Not Yet Open for 2016, Future is Uncertain [7/13]
- New Bedford, MA: Flagship Cinemas - New Bedford Closed [7/10]
- Menomonee Falls, WI: Marcus Menomonee Falls Cinemas Getting Take Five and Zaffiro's [6/30]
The Carmike Cinema 8 - Lexington in Lexington, North Carolina closed May 10, 2012, according to an article in The Dispatch:
Thursday evening concluded the end of an era for Cinema 8, the Lexington theater owned by Carmike Cinemas. Friday morning offered residents an empty parking lot and only slightly explanatory sign as to why the only theater in Lexington is now closed after almost 30 years.
Multiple attempts to obtain a comment from a spokesman for Carmike Cinemas were unsuccessful.
Click the Read link below to view the full article. According to the article, the theater was opened May 21, 1982 as a four-screen location. It was expanded to eight screens in 1986 and enjoyed quite a bit of success, but has declined in attendance over the past five or six years.
The theater's closure leaves Lexington without a movie theater. Moviegoers in the area will need to travel some distance to see movies on the big screen, as the closest theater is the Cinemark Tinseltown USA in Salisbury. There are ten theaters within 20 miles of Lexington, according to our records.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.