Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- Matthews, NC: Cinemark Movies 10 Closed [8/25]
- Groton, CT: Groton Cinema 6 Closed [8/25]
- Anaheim, CA: UltraStar GardenWalk Cinemas Closed [8/24]
- Scottsdale, AZ: UltraStar Scottsdale Pavilion 11 Closed [8/24]
- Sault Ste. Marie, MI: Carmike Varsity Cinemas Closed [8/24]
- Roanoke, TX: Cinemark Roanoke and XD Now Open [8/14]
- Tulsa, OK: Village Movies 8 Opens Today [7/31]
- Upper Darby, PA: Studio Movie Grill - Upper Darby Opened July 23, 2015 [7/30]
- California, MD: R/C Lexington Exchange Movies 12 Opens [7/30]
- Milwaukee, WI: Free Family Outdoor Movies at the Peck Pavilion [7/30]
The Akron Beacon Journal is reporting that the Lake Cinema 8 in Barberton, Ohio will open on April 1, 2013 following the sale approval by the city to Neighborhood Development Services:
The final step in the purchase of Lake Cinemas passed Monday night when City Council unanimously approved the $545,000 sale of the theater to Neighborhood Development Services.
“I’m just happy and excited that the theater’s going to reopen,” Mayor Bill Judge said. “It’s something we’ve been working on for a year to keep that active and open. This was the last hurdle with the passage of council.”
Click the Read link below to view the full article.
It reported on February 12th that the theater had a purchase offer to the city, which owns the theater:
The marquee at Barberton’s Lake Cinemas soon might shine again.The Neighborhood Development Services group has announced it intends to buy Lake Cinemas 8 from the city for $545,000 and reopen the theater the first week of April.
Great Oaks Cinema, which operates a year-round cinema in Wadsworth, would operate the Barberton screens.
NDS Executive Director Dave Vaughan said the group plans to spend about $250,000 to install digital equipment, two 3-D screens and renovate the theater’s entryway.
The work also would include replacing two of the eight screens and a complete cleaning of the carpets, drapes and seats before the reopening.
Barberton City Council is slated to vote on the sale of the downtown theater when it meets Feb. 25.
The theater originally opened in 1938 and closed January 15, 2013.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.