Remove ads with our VIP Service
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 3D 
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey An IMAX 3D Experience in HFR 
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey IMAX 
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in HFR 3D 
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in IMAX 3D 
Add Your Comments
- 23 Bond Movies for $75 at FoxConnect [12/4]
- Get a Free Song Download with Fandango Ticket Purchase for "Annie" [12/2]
- Save up to $10 on Fandango Gift Cards - Expires 12/25/2014 [12/2]
- "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" Coming to Home Video December 16, 2014 [10/1]
- "Transformers: Age of Extinction" Released on Home Video - Links & Reviews [9/30]
- Listen to Lorde's New Song for "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1" [9/29]
- "Hercules" Coming to Home Video November 4, 2014 - Theatrical and Extended Cut [9/24]
- Purchase Deborah Willis' Book "Reflections in Black" [8/27]
- "Edge of Tomorrow" Effectively Renamed in Home Video Release [8/21]
- Soundtrack for "If I Stay" Features Music from Willamette Stone and Others [8/4]
Peter Jackson's much-anticipated follow-up to the hugely successful and popular Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, opened in theaters December 14, 2012, just three short months ago. It did very well in theaters, and even garnered some Academy Award nominations, and now it's becoming available for purchase!
The Blu-ray and DVD versions of the movie are being released on Tuesday, March 19th, but the downloadable versions are available now on Amazon Instant Video, iTunes, and several other services. If you want the 3D version, you'll have to purchase the The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray/DVD + UltraViolet Digital Copy Combo Pack). Given that it's only a few bucks more than the non-3D Blu-ray pack, I think that's the one to purchase if you have, or think you'll ever have, a 3D display. Personally, I found the 3D effects to be good, so that's the one I'll be purchasing, even though I usually prefer watching movies in 2D. Both Blu-ray combo packs come with a DVD and UltraViolet edition as well, so you've got your formats covered.
If you just can't bring yourself to enjoy high definition, the low-res The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Two-Disc Special Edition) (DVD + UltraViolet Digital Copy) also includes an UltraViolet copy and is about $10 less.
When you pre-order discs through Amazon, they come with a pre-order price guarantee, which makes it painless to order online, and if another site or major chain (like Best Buy, WalMart, or Target) has it for cheaper, they'll likely price-match them, and if they do, you automatically get credited the difference between your purchase price and the lowest price Amazon has on it up to release day.
Buy the Discs and Get a Sneak Peek at "The Desolation of Smaug"
Another benefit of buying one of the editions mentioned above is that you will be able to enjoy a sneak peek at the next installment, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, on March 24, 2013, presented by director Peter Jackson. See the promo page for what few details are available.
Skip the Disc, Download Now
Studios are steadily pushing the marketplace into downloads and streaming copies of their movies, and one of the ways they are doing it is to offer those versions ahead of the physical disc releases. As such, you can purchase and download the movie from Amazon Instant Video and iTunes right now and enjoy them on the compatible device of your choice. I can't bring myself to sacrifice the quality of Blu-ray for the convenience of downloads, but some people love downloads and hate physical discs, so if you're allergic to polycarbonate and/or you're impatient to watch the movie, click away!
Rundown of Purchase Options
Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray/DVD + UltraViolet Digital Copy Combo Pack
Blu-ray/DVD + UltraViolet Digital Copy Combo Pack
DVD + UltraViolet Digital Copy
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.