Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- Elko, NV: Elko Movie Theaters Change Owners [2/27]
- 2017 Academy Award Winners [2/27]
- Saline, MI: Opening Date for Emagine Saline is March 18, 2017 [2/22]
- Green Bay, WI: Silver Cinemas - East Town Budget Cinemas Closed [2/10]
- Milwaukee, WI: Former State Theater Severely Damaged by Fire [2/10]
- Lincoln, NE: Recliners Coming to Marcus Lincoln Grand Cinema [2/9]
- Orlando, FL: Cinemark Movie Theater Changes Name After Artegon Marketplace Closure [2/6]
- Kalamazoo, MI: Alamo Drafthouse Cinema Closing in April 2017, New Operator Expected [2/6]
- Corpus Christi, TX: Alamo Drafthouse Cinema Soft Opening on February 7, 2017 [2/1]
- Englewood, CO: UA Greenwood Plaza 12 Closed [1/31]
The Nugget Theatre in Telluride, Colorado has closed after nearly 30 years in operation, according to a posting on the theater's Facebook page April 3, 2013 by operators Luci Reeve and Jim Bedford:
To clarify as we're being asked questions:
After 28 years of running the Nugget, we are sorry to tell you that Luci and Jim will cease operating the theatre tomorrow. Thursday, April 4 will be our last movie. We have been paying 2-4 months a year of rent out of our savings for the last five years, we will need a $50,000 to install necessary digital projection this year, and we continue to have only a monthly lease from the Telluride Film Festival, so we find we cannot do it any more. The film festival has been clear that they will not lower our rent even though we have asked them to do this a number of times. We are unable to continue to subsidize the Nugget any longer. We are very sorry and love the community of moviegoers and supporters over the years.
Thanks for all the support!
The Telluride Daily Planet published an article about the theater's closing that also mentioned that the Telluride Film Festival (who holds the lease on the theater) intends to make some upgrades and reopen the theater in time for summer:
But the Nugget will not be shuttered indefinitely. Instead, the Telluride Film Festival plans to close it this off-season before reopening it under new management.
“There’s going to be an operator change and an equipment upgrade,” TFF Co-director Julie Huntsinger said on Wednesday. “We are committed to a year-round theater in town.”
In a statement released late Wednesday by TFF, Huntsinger said Bedford and Reeve put in years of excellent service. The theater will close for a few weeks before a new operator takes over, and an “exciting” upgrade will also begin, she said.
“It is a challenging time in theater exhibition but the Telluride community is committed to having a year-round cinema operating in town and continuing to host TFF and other festivals. TFF intends to lead the charge in ensuring this happens,” Huntsinger said.
Though she didn’t have a specific time frame for when the theater will reopen, Huntsinger said, “we’ll absolutely be ready for summer.”
Click the Read link below to view the full article.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2017, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.