Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Showplace Cinemas South
Add Your Comments
- Coconut Creek, FL: Silverspot at Promenade Now Open [5/28]
- Carson, CA: Grand Opening of Cinemark Carson & XD Thursday, May 28, 2015 [5/28]
- Indiana, PA: Indiana Mall Cinema Closes, Changes Hands from Carmike to Golden Star Theaters - Set to Open June 12th [5/19]
- Tucson, AZ: Cinemark Announces Plan for 14-Screen Movie Theater at Tucson Marketplace at the Bridges [5/18]
- Tulsa, OK: Cinemark Movies 8 Closed [5/15]
- Pittsburgh, PA: Rave Cinemas Pittsburgh North 11 Closing Tonight [5/14]
- Cinemark Announces 2015 "Summer Movie Clubhouse" Series of Kid-Friendly Movies [5/14]
- Cheektowaga, NY: Movieland 8 Theatre Closed [5/12]
- San Angelo, TX: Icon Cinema Opening in 2015 in Former K-Mart Space [5/11]
- Albuquerque, NM: Icon Cinema to Open Soon in Four Hills Village Shopping Center [5/11]
If you've been wanting to see a movie at the Showplace Cinemas South in Evansville, Indiana, don't wait very long to do so. We've heard reports that signs are up in front of the theater offering the site as available for leasing, build-to-suit.
Back in February, the Evansville Courier-Press published an article the mentioned that the owner does not want to upgrade the theater's seven auditoriums with Digital Cinema Projection systems, and planned to raze the building, build a new structure, and lease it out:
The life expectancy of Paul Stieler’s Showplace Cinemas South, located off the Hebron and Powell avenues, is low. Stieler revealed plans Monday for having the 39-year-old building demolished by probably this summer, or as soon as he finds a business that would like for him to build a structure to suit on the site.
Meanwhile, movies will be shown there as usual.
The expected demise of the use of film industrywide by the end of this year, is causing the local discount movie theater’s demise.
According to Stieler, it would cost too much to have the discount theater’s seven auditoriums digitalized. The theater still uses film.
“I’d just as soon tear it down, build another building and lease it to someone,” he said.
Click the Read link below to view the full article.
The theater is still playing movies for the time being, as can be seen by its Showtimes page, but don't be surprised when you see a "closed" sign, the lights are off, and bulldozers are looking longingly at the building...
When that happens, you'll have other options, as can be seen on the Nearby Theaters list for Evansville, Indiana.
The photo above is courtesy Showplace Cinemas.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.