Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Merle Hay Mall Cinema
Des Moines, IA
Add Your Comments
- Mount Lebanon, PA: Newly Renovated Carmike Galleria 6 Set to Open April 25, 2014 [4/18]
- Lansing, IL: Digiplex to Acquire Lansing Cinema 8 [4/9]
- Milwaukee, WI: Watch "The Wizard of Oz" with a Live Orchestra [4/8]
- Milwaukee, WI: New Sign Proposed for Avalon Theatre, July 2014 Opening Planned [3/31]
- Los Angeles, CA: Regency Village Theatre to Host Los Angeles Premiere of "Trancscendence" [3/26]
- Bel Air, MD: Flagship Cinemas - Churchville Sold to Digiplex [3/24]
- San Diego, CA: Digiplex Mission Valley Becomes UltraStar Location Again [3/18]
- Aurora, CO: AMC Debuts "Red Kitchen" Dining Concept at AMC Southlands 16 [3/11]
- Franklin, TN: IMAX Opens at Carmike Thoroughbred 20 [3/10]
- San Jose, CA: Days Are Numbered for Movies at the Dome Theaters [3/10]
The Des Moines Register is reporting that the Merle Hay Mall in Des Moines, Iowa has plans to replace the Merle Hay Mall Cinema with a new eight-screen dine-in theater and brewery on the mall's upper level. They are hoping for a Summer 2014 opening.
The move is part of Merle Hay’s continuing effort to compete with newer and trendy malls in the western suburbs. Built in 1959, Merle Hay is the state’s oldest enclosed shopping center.
Elizabeth Holland, chief executive of Merle Hay Mall, said she was looking for a tenant that would bring something new to Iowa, instead of “redividing the same pie in the race to the bottom” of local retail centers.
Dine-in theaters are popular in large cities like Los Angeles, Chicago, Kansas City and New York. Texas-based Flix is unique, said Allan Reagan, company president: “We are the only brew pub with a first-run cinema.”
Click the Read link below for the full article.
Flix currently has just one other location, the Flix Brewhouse in Round Rock, Texas. The single-screen Merle Hay Mall Cinema will close when the new theater opens.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your ZIP Code -- the site remembers your ZIP code, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.