Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Sunset Drive-in
- Fort Worth and Hurst, TX: Cinemark Upgrading Ridgmar 13 and North East Mall 18 Locations with Luxury Loungers [4/15]
- Chicago, IL: ArcLight Cinemas Opening in Lincoln Park in September 2015 [4/11]
- Glenview, IL: Pacific Glen Stadium 10 Closes for ArcLight Cinemas Conversion - Reopening on May 1, 2015 [4/11]
- Bangor, ME: Bangor Drive-In to Reopen After 30 Years [4/9]
- Tyler, TX: Studio Movie Grill Set to Open in April 2015 [4/3]
- Culver City, CA: Pacific Culver Stadium 12 Closed for Conversion to ArcLight Cinemas Location [3/26]
- Washington, DC: West End Cinema Closing [3/24]
- Casper, WY: Studio City Mesa to Open March 27th, Downton Iris Stadium 8 Closed [3/23]
- Vineyard, UT: Megaplex Theatres - Geneva & IMAX Now Open [3/20]
- Cleveland Heights, OH: Regal Severance Town Center Stadium 14 Closed [3/20]
Nelda Spore was 12 years old in 1960 when she started selling candy at the concession stand of the Sunset Drive-In in Mansfield, following her mother who worked there. Nelda learned every job, met and married Richard Spore who also worked there, left to teach, then returned 13 years ago and has managed the drive-in ever since. Now, at age 66, with her husband ill, she will be the one to turn out the lights forever.
"It's so sad," she said. "I feel like this drive-in has been my life for so long. Now it's just going to fade away."
The theater's owner, Jay Phillips, lives in California. He and his three brothers opened the place in 1946. It lasted through the tough times of the 1980s, when most drive-ins in the country closed.
But today, Phillips, the last surviving brother, is unwilling to put up the $70,000 to convert from film to digital video. So later this year when Hollywood studios stop using film, drive-ins that don't adapt -- like the Sunset -- will shut.
Click the Read link to view the full article.
If and when the Sunset Drive-in does close, those looking for movies under the stars do have other options, even if it means a bit of a drive. Take a look at this list of drive-ins within 50 miles of Mansfield -- hopefully there won't be too many that share the Sunset's fate...
Add Your Comments
Please Note: These comments are submitted by the readers of The BigScreen Cinema Guide and represent their own personal opinions, and do not represent the views of The BigScreen Cinema Guide, or any of its associated entities.
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.