Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Grand Cinemas
- Landmark Downer Theatre
- Landmark Oriental Theatre
Add Your Comments
- Malco Theatres Kids Summer Film Fest 2015 [6/30]
- 2015 Summer Movie Series at Georgia Theatre Company Locations [6/30]
- Kids Summer Movies Playing at UltraStar Cinemas in 2015 [6/30]
- Carmike Cinemas Offers Summer Kids Series 2015 [6/30]
- Wehrenberg Theatres Family Summer Series - 10 Movies for $1 Each [6/30]
- Harkins Summer Movie Fun Series - 10 Kids Movies for $7 [6/30]
- Classic Cinemas Offers $1 Movies in 2015 Summer Movie Series [6/30]
- Regal's Summer Movie Express Offers $1 Movies in 2015 [6/30]
- $3 Family Movie Series at Select Marcus Theatres in June-August 2015 [6/30]
- West Carrollton, OH: Luxury Lounger Recliners Coming to Rave Cinemas Dayton South 16 [6/25]
The plan for a new movie theater in downtown Milwaukee still has a commitment from Marcus Theatres that was announced in 2010, but the project is being modified slightly by the building's developer to include more restaurant spaces and a smaller office tower, according to an article published recently in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:
Marcus Corp. still wants to develop a downtown Milwaukee cinema, but the project also would include three restaurants and a smaller office tower than originally proposed, under a preliminary plan unveiled Monday.
The project would be on 2.6 acres, overlooking the Milwaukee River, west of N. Water St., between E. Knapp and E. Cherry streets. It's proposed by Rainier Properties, led by Bruce Westling and Gary Grunau, and would include a small county-owned parcel in the Park East strip.
The cinema plan first surfaced in 2008, and Marcus in 2010 made a formal commitment to the project. The mixed-use development also was to include around 300,000 square feet of offices.
But Rainier hasn't landed any office tenants, which are needed to obtain financing.
So the plan has been redrawn. It now calls for 76,500 square feet of office space on eight stories at the site's northern portion, with the entrance at the corner of Water and Cherry streets.
The theater, with six to eight screens, would have its entrance at the corner of Water and Knapp streets, with a first-floor lobby and cinemas and concessions on the second floor.
The plan also proposed three separate ground-floor restaurant spaces, of 15,000 square feet, 14,000 square feet and 7,000 square feet, Westling said. It also would have a 547-space parking structure, a riverfront promenade and a small park on the southwest portion of the site.
Click the Read link below for the full article. The article mentions that the best-case scenario for the start of the project would be "about a year."
Once filled with single-screen movie theaters, downtown Milwaukee has been absent a movie theater since the Grand Cinemas closed in 1995 (read article). The nearest movie theaters still operating today are the Landmark Oriental and Landmark Downer, which are both about 2-3 miles away from this new theater's location.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.