Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- Fort Worth, TX: Luxury AMC Movie Theater Coming to The Shops at Clearfork [3/28]
- Warren, MI: MJR Universal Grand Cinema 16 Expected to Open April 7, 2017 [3/22]
- Gibsonton, FL: Goodrich Riverview 14 GDX Now Open [3/21]
- Hilliard, OH: Movie Tavern - Mill Run Closing April 9, 2017 [3/10]
- Fernandina Beach, FL: B & B Theaters Amelia Island 7 Opens in Former Carmike Island 7 Space [3/10]
- Chicago, IL: Chatham 14 Theaters Becomes Studio Movie Grill - Chatham [3/8]
- Fallston, MD: Fallston Movies Opens March 9, 2017 [3/8]
- Omaha, NE: Dundee Theatre Staging a Comeback [3/7]
- Omaha, NE: Marcus Midtown Cinema Closing? [3/7]
- Doral, FL: Cobb CinéBistro at CityPlace Doral to Open March 17, 2017 [3/7]
The Dipson North Park Theatre in Buffalo, New York closed June 6, 2013 when Dipson Theatres decided that it would no longer operate the movie theater. The president of the company said that they hadn't made money at the location in five years.
Fortunately for moviegoers and residents of Buffalo alike, there are plans to reopen the historic single-screen theater in the near future. The Buffalo News published an article before the theater closed that mentioned that the building's owner was going to partner with the owner of a local restaurant to keep the movie theater running:
The North Park Theatre on Hertel Avenue would be high on anyone’s list of North Buffalo landmarks, so when Dipson Theatres announced Thursday it would no longer be presenting films in the aging movie palace, it was feared its screen would go permanently dark.
However, Buffalo attorney Thomas J. Eoannou, who owns the building containing the theater, said he is partnering with Left Bank Restaurant owner Michael G. Christiano to keep the North Park open.
“It’s going to remain an art theater,” said Eoannou. “It would be an awful shame to mothball it. It’s just a beautiful, beautiful place.”
He said that he and Christiano have been talking over plans for about a week, since Dipson notified him it would not be renewing its lease. How the theater will be run has not been finalized.
Click the Read link below to view the full article.
Until the theater reopens, moviegoers will other nearby theaters, including Regal Elmwood Center 16 for mainstream movies and the Dipson Amherst 3 for movies that are closer to what the North Park Theatre showed.
Related News Articles
- Here’s hoping the North Park Theatre will rise again -- The Buffalo News [Jun 11, 2013]
- A fond send-off for an icon as North Park Theatre makes transition -- The Buffalo News [Jun 6, 2013]
- North Park Theatre Will Live On Despite Dipson Pullout -- WGRZ Channel 2 [May 23, 2013]
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2017, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.