Remove ads with our VIP Service
Add Your Comments
- 2015 Academy Award Winners [2/22]
- Vista, CA: Krikorian MetroPlex 15 at Vista Village Changes Owners, Now the Cinépolis USA - Vista [2/19]
- Pico Rivera, CA: Krikorian Pico Rivera Village Walk 15 Changes Owners, Now the Cinépolis USA - Pico Rivera [2/19]
- Los Angeles World Premiere of "Focus" on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 [2/19]
- Bloomington, IL: Carmike Ovation Cinema 10 Now Open [2/18]
- Joliet, IL: Cinemark Movies 10 Closed [2/11]
- Yulee, FL: Grand Opening for Carmike Coastal Cinemas 10 Scheduled for February 13, 2015 [2/11]
- Midlothian, VA: Carmike 10 - Richmond Reopening in March as Carmike Ovation 10 [2/11]
- Seattle, WA: Varsity Theatre Reopens February 13, 2015 [2/11]
- Canton, IL: Garden Theatre Closed [1/30]
The Hollywood Cinema 9 in Kenner, Lousiana closed on June 13, 2013. The Times-Picayune published an article early this week that stated that the impending opening of a new Grand Theatre close by was the final nail in the theater's coffin:
The curtains have closed for good on Hollywood Cinemas 9 multiplex in Kenner. Faced with the impending opening of a new Grand Theatre location nearly within spitting distance of his box office, the theater's owner last week decided to accept the inevitable and to pull the plug on his operation once and for all. The move leaves Jefferson Parish's most populous city without a mainstream movie theater until the Grand opens later this year.
Once upon a time, local businessman Vishu Mandava, who has owned the independently operated Hollywood Cinemas 9 for 11 years, had hoped to renovate his theater and keep it running indefinitely. That renovation project, however, ran into trouble -- both political and financial -- in getting off the ground, and those plans were eventually scrapped.
Click the Read link below to view the full article.
The new Grand Theatre location is not due to open until late summer or early fall, so until then, moviegoers in the area will need to search out one of the eight theaters within 15 miles of Kenner.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.