Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Shankweiler's Drive-in
Add Your Comments
- Captain America 3D Double Feature Coming to Theaters April 3rd [3/10]
- Bonita Springs, FL: Prado Stadium 12 Featured in Spotlight Magazines [3/4]
- Note Added to "Noah" Explaining That It's Not a Documentary [2/28]
- Buy One Oscar Nominee Ticket at AMC, Get One Free (conditions apply) [2/10]
- Barnes & Noble Stores Hosting Events Tied to "The LEGO Movie" [1/21]
- Entertainment Weekly Interviews Ben Affleck About "Gone Girl" [11/24]
- See a 5-Minute Clip for "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" Before "Thor: The Dark World 3D" [10/23]
- High-Def Digest Reviews "The Wizard of Oz: An IMAX 3D Experience" at the Newly Remodeled TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX in Hollywood [9/24]
- 20th Century Fox to Distribute Jesus Christ Movie 'Son of God' [9/12]
- Newton, IA: Valle Drive-In Wants Your Vote for a Free Digital Projector [8/23]
Shankweiler's Drive-in in Orefield, Pennsylvania is featured in a recent article on MSN Autos as the country's oldest drive-in movie theater:
Shankweiler's isn't the only drive-in theater still operating in the United States, but its history encompasses the industry it helped pioneer. It was there in the beginning, opening in 1934, just a year after the first drive-in, the appropriately named Drive-In Theatre in Camden, N.J.
In this brave new world of sprawling lots and multiplying movie screens, Shankweiler's remained a modest affair. It has always served roughly as many cars as it does today: 320 or so with a full house. And where other drive-ins featured three or more screens, Shankweiler's offers one. There are concessions at this Pennsylvania icon, but none of the pony rides, sit-down dinners and miniature golf featured at larger, newer operations.
Click the Read link below to view the full article.
Shankweiler's is one of only three drive-in theaters in the area, but there are quite a few spread across Pennsylvania and the country! We provide you with a way to see a list of drive-ins near you on both the Nearby Theaters page and all of them state-by-state on the Theaters By Region page!
Have You Been to Shankweiler's Drive-in?
If you've been to this drive-in, please let us know what you thought of the experience by leaving a message on the theater's Reader Comments page!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your ZIP Code -- the site remembers your ZIP code, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.