Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Keno Drive-In
Pleasant Prairie, WI
Add Your Comments
- Allen, TX: Renovations Coming to Cinemark Allen 16 and XD [9/21]
- Danvers, MA: Hollywood Hits Theatre Closed [9/12]
- Chattanooga, TN: Regal Hamilton Place 8 Reopens [9/9]
- Waukee, IA: Proposed Theater Plans Include Largest IMAX Screen in U.S. [9/8]
- San Jose, CA: Camera 12 to Close Friday [9/8]
- Lexington, KY: Cinemark Movies 10 - Woodhill Closed [9/7]
- Oxford, ME: Flagship Cinemas Reopens as Luxury Theater [9/6]
- New York, NY: AMC Announces Reserved Seating at All Manhattan AMC Locations [9/1]
- Pleasant Hills, PA: Carmike Southland 9 Closed [8/25]
- New York, NY: Landmark Theatres Plans New 8-Screen Theater [8/24]
We came across a mention that the Keno Drive-In in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin may be having its last season in operation, so we did a little digging to find out what might be happening.
It turns out that the rumors of the Keno's demise center around the idea that WalMart is looking to build a supercenter on the site. The rumor is bolstered by the fact that the current operator has been quoted in a news article (click the Read link below) that soil tests are being done, the property's owners are saying that 2013 will likely be the drive-in's last year in operation, and that the theater needs to upgrade to a Digital Cinema Projection systems if it wants to continue showing movies in the near future (conventional wisdom says this will be required by 2014 or 2015 at the latest).
Closing a local movie theater will always bring out some opposition and cries of "save the theater," and drive-ins have a following all their own, but now you add the spector of a WalMart coming to town, and there's bound to be some people less than happy with the news. Sure enough, there is a Facebook group titled Save Keno Drive In - No Walmart Here with over 5,200 likes, and there is an online petition opposing the plans that has almost 3,000 signatures.
As of the April 16, 2013 publication date of the aforementioned news article, village officials are denying that anything is happening, but that's little indication of what might or might not be happening. Until things are on public record, nothing is official, and history shows that when a large corporation wants a piece of property, they usually get it, no matter how many comprehensive plans need to be changed, what zoning changes are necessary, and no matter how much local opposition there is.
What is fairly certain, however, is that there aren't many drive-in's left in Wisconsin (we count 11 right now), so if you want to experience the drive-in experience, don't delay! Head over to the Showtimes page for the Keno Drive-In and make your plans today!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.