Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Vinegar Hill Theatre
Add Your Comments
- Ashburn, VA: Starplex Cinemas - Loudoun Luxury 11 Now Open [4/24]
- Dallas, TX: Cinepolis to Open Luxury Movie Theater in Victory Park [4/21]
- Lewisburg, WV: Lewisburg Cinema 8 Now Open [4/21]
- Fort Worth and Hurst, TX: Cinemark Upgrading Ridgmar 13 and North East Mall 18 Locations with Luxury Loungers [4/15]
- Chicago, IL: ArcLight Cinemas Opening in Lincoln Park in September 2015 [4/11]
- Glenview, IL: Pacific Glen Stadium 10 Closes for ArcLight Cinemas Conversion - Reopening on May 1, 2015 [4/11]
- Bangor, ME: Bangor Drive-In to Reopen After 30 Years [4/9]
- Tyler, TX: Studio Movie Grill Set to Open in April 2015 [4/3]
- Chantilly, VA: Smithsonian - Udvar-Hazy Center Airbus IMAX Theater Closed for Laser Upgrade [3/30]
- Culver City, CA: Pacific Culver Stadium 12 Closed for Conversion to ArcLight Cinemas Location [3/26]
The Vinegar Hill Theatre in Charlottesville, Virginia closed August 4, 2013. Their Facebook page had a "farewell" message that was posted on July 31st:
After 37 years of serving the Charlottesville community, Vinegar Hill Theatre will close on Monday, August 5th.
From Friday, Aug 2nd - Sunday, August 4th, we will show Joss Whedon's "Much Ado About Nothing" (7:00 each day, with additional 2:00 and 4:30 showings on Saturday and Sunday), with an extra showing of Noam Baumbach's "Frances Ha" as the late show (9:20pm) each night. Sunday will be our final day of business. Throughout the weekend we will be selling Vinegar Hill t-shirts, mugs, and tote bags for $5 each, and many movie posters from throughout the past 10 years will also be sold at the price of three for $5.
We look forward to seeing many of our customers this weekend, to say farewell and thank them for their many years of faithful patronage.
We believe that Vinegar Hill has always brought something unique to Charlottesville, a distinct character and dedication to the community and to cinema, that cannot be replicated or replaced by a big-business chain. Though business has been tough for us this past year, we believe that we could have modified our business model to continue to serve the community successfully, but we are not operating in a vacuum, and sadly the external circumstances are such that we have no choice but to close.
We would again like to thank Vinegar Hill's customers for their many years of support, and invite you to join us again this weekend to mark the end of an era.
According to our records, the theater opened in 1976 and was last owned/operated by Visulite Cinemas LLC., which operates two theaters in Staunton, Virginia. It appears that they held a "Save the Theater!" campaign in November 2012 to solicit donations from the public for a conversion to a Digital Cinema Projection system. Hopefully, the people that donated money and did other things toward that effort got their money's-worth before it closed...
Related News Articles
Downtown Movie Theater Closing -- Newsplex.com [Jul 31, 2013]
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.