Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- City Lights Cinemas
Add Your Comments
- Boulder, CO: Boulder Art Cinema Ends After Poor Attendance [7/30]
- Montgomery, AL: Evans Theatres - Eastdale Mall 8 Opening August 19, 2016 [7/26]
- Middletown, PA: Council Hears Support and Ideas for the Elks Theatre [7/25]
- Palo Alto, CA: CineArts Palo Alto Square to Close in August 2016 [7/25]
- Variety: "The Divergent Series: Allegiant" to Skip Theaters, Launch as a TV Movie and Spinoff Series [7/21]
- Falmouth, ME: Flagship Premium Cinemas Now Open [7/20]
- AMC Theatres to Acquire Odeon & UCI Cinemas Group, the Largest Theater Chain in Europe [7/13]
- Westbrook, ME: Prides Corner Drive-In Not Yet Open for 2016, Future is Uncertain [7/13]
- New Bedford, MA: Flagship Cinemas - New Bedford Closed [7/10]
- Menomonee Falls, WI: Marcus Menomonee Falls Cinemas Getting Take Five and Zaffiro's [6/30]
The Florence Cinemas in Florence, Oregon closed their doors for good on July 14, 2013. Their web site is displaying a message which places the blame on their inability to convert to Digital Cinema Projection systems:
Due to the high cost of running 35mm and not having Digital Projection.
The Florence Cinemas is forced to close doors and shut down operations.
Effective Monday July 14 , 2013.
The theater attempted to solicit donations from the public to fund their conversion, which they estimated to be $250,000 for four auditoriums. Apparently, they didn't succeed. The danger in giving money to these types of campaigns is what happens if they don't meet their goal? If you sent them a check, you might be able to get your money back:
If anyone donated
Please send proof of canceled check
2006 Hwy 101
Florence , Or 97439
We will be glad to refund your donations
Given that 35mm film is still available from the studios, it would seem that the theater's closure is not all about the cost of converting to Digital Cinema. What we have been seeing, though, is that operations that are on the cusp of closing anyway are often just giving up in advance of any real availability issues and using Digital Cinema as a popular excuse. We don't know if this is that type of situation, but their screens are dark nonetheless.
If you live in the Florence area, you will need to do some driving to see movies on the big screen. According to our list of nearby theaters, the closest theaters are the Pony Village Cinemas in North Bend and the Newport Cinemas in Newport. Both are more than 40 miles away from Florence.
Related News Articles
Florence Cinemas goes dark again -- Siuslaw News [Jul 19, 2013]
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.