Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Ocala Drive-In
- Golden Age Cinemas - McHenry Outdoor Theater
- Saco Drive-in
- Cherry Bowl Drive-In
- Starlite Drive-In Theater
- 99W Drive-In
- Monetta Drive-In
- Stateline Drive-in
- Graham Drive-In Theatre
Add Your Comments
- Pleasant Hills, PA: Carmike Southland 9 Closed [8/25]
- New York, NY: Landmark Theatres Plans New 8-Screen Theater [8/24]
- Newark, DE: Luxury Lounger Recliners Coming to Cinemark Christiana and XD [8/23]
- Gainesville, FL: Construction Begins on Regal Cinemas in Celebration Pointe [8/23]
- Palo Alto, CA: CineArts at Palo Alto Square Closing Delayed Until September [8/18]
- Fort Wayne, IN: Carmike Jefferson Pointe 18 + IMAX Enforcing Curfew [8/18]
- Fort Lee, NJ: iPic Theaters Hudson Lights Opens Tomorrow [8/10]
- Boulder, CO: Boulder Art Cinema Ends After Poor Attendance [7/30]
- Montgomery, AL: Evans Theatres - Eastdale Mall 8 Opening August 19, 2016 [7/26]
- Middletown, PA: Council Hears Support and Ideas for the Elks Theatre [7/25]
This summer, Honda started an initiative they called "Project Drive-In" which would award new Digital Cinema Projection systems to five drive-ins around the country, based on which received the most votes from the public. With the industry-wide conversion from 35mm film to Digital Cinema projection, many drive-ins, like many small and often family-run movie theaters, are in danger of closing for good because they can't afford to convert.
In addition to soliciting a popular vote, the site also asked for donations toward the project, and that effort allowed them to help a total of nine drive-ins get the new equipment they needed! More than 2.6 million votes were received, and more than $43,000 in donations were collected.
"It's not often that a company gets the opportunity to help preserve an American pastime. It has been an honor and a privilege to bring national and local attention to the fate of drive-ins and to meet the passionate owners of these small businesses," said Alicia Jones, manager of Honda & Acura social marketing at American Honda Motor Co., Inc. "We hope that the #SaveTheDriveIn movement continues in the effort to help keep more drive-ins open for the next generation."
The winners were notified via a fake news interview, so their reactions were caught on camera. The video appears below. All of them are celebrating their happy news with a special showing of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 (Sony was a partner in Project Drive-In, and the movie is from Sony Pictures).
The winning theaters are:
- Ocala Drive-In - Ocala, FL
- Golden Age Cinemas - McHenry Outdoor Theater - McHenry, IL
- Saco Drive-in - Saco, ME
- Cherry Bowl Drive-In - Honor, MI
- Starlite Drive-In Theater - Cadet, MO
- 99W Drive-In - Newberg, OR
- Monetta Drive-In - Monetta, SC
- Stateline Drive-in - Elizabethton, TN
- Graham Drive-In Theatre - Graham, TX
A drive-in is a unique moviegoing experience, and we have an easy way for you to find a drive-in near you. Just go to the Nearby Theaters page in The Marquee, and then choose to show "drive-ins" using the selector in the upper right corner of the results, and you will see a list of all active drive-ins near you.
The fundraising will continue through the end of the year, so check out the web site at the Read link below to find a theater near you that is participating in this program!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.