Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Marcus Gurnee Mills Cinema
Add Your Comments
- Culver City, CA: Pacific Culver Stadium 12 Closed for Conversion to ArcLight Cinemas Location [3/26]
- Washington, DC: West End Cinema Closing [3/24]
- Casper, WY: Studio City Mesa to Open March 27th, Downton Iris Stadium 8 Closed [3/23]
- Vineyard, UT: Megaplex Theatres - Geneva & IMAX Now Open [3/20]
- Cleveland Heights, OH: Regal Severance Town Center Stadium 14 Closed [3/20]
- Lawrenceville, GA: GTC Town Center Value Cinemas Closed [3/18]
- Queen Creek, AZ: Harkins Queen Creek 14 Opening March 19, 2015 [3/16]
- Los Angeles, CA: 9-Screen Cinemark Playa Vista and XD Now Open [3/13]
- Nicholasville, KY: AmStar 14 - Brannon Crossing to Become Movie Tavern Location in June 2015 [3/12]
- Lewiston, ME: Flagship Cinemas Closed [3/12]
Marcus Theatres announced recently that the Marcus Gurnee Mills Cinema in Gurnee, Illinois has been upgraded with one of Marcus' big-screen concept "UltraScreen" auditoriums. When it opens to the public on Thursday, November 7, 2013, customers coming to see Thor: The Dark World 3D will be greeted with a 70' wide by 29' high screen illuminated by a dual 3D Digital Cinema Projection system that uses two 4K projectors for twice the light output of single-projector systems.
While the movie showing this weekend won't utilize it, the new UltraScreen also is equipped with Barco's Auro 11.1 sound system. This installation is the first for Marcus Theatres and the first one in the Chicago area. The Auro 11.1 web site describes it as adding "two additional layers of sound to the existing 5.1 surround sound layer." Movies do need to be created with Auro 11.1 soundtracks to take advantage of the new sound system, and currently, the only movie with an Auro 11.1 soundtrack is Ender's Game.
“Every aspect of the new UltraScreen addition has been engineered to deliver the ultimate in picture, sound and comfort,” said Rolando Rodriguez, Marcus Theatres president and CEO. “Not only does the UltraScreen provide moviegoers with crystal clear images on its massive screen, but 3D is brighter, clearer and more lifelike than ever before with dual 4K projection. We’ve also installed an amazing new audio system that immerses moviegoers in sound from all directions, providing the most true-to-life audio reproduction possible.”
Two auditoriums were demolished to make room for the extra-sized auditorium, bringing their screen count down to 19 total.
As is the case with upgraded auditoriums in the industry, you can expect to pay more to see a movie in the UltraScreen. An evening showing of Thor: The Dark World 3D in the UltraScreen will cost $14.50 for an adult ticket, whereas a ticket to the same movie costs $13.50 in another auditorium. A 2D showing of the same movie costs $10.50, so it appears that they are charging $3 for 3D and an additional $1 for the UltraScreen.
In our experience with viewing movies in three other UltraScreen locations that Marcus has in the Milwaukee area, that small upcharge is well worth the upgrade in the experience that you will get by seeing the movie in the UltraScreen. Until we get a chance to see it for ourselves, we won't know for sure if that holds true for this installation, but watch the Reader Comments page for the theater to see what others think about it!
To see what's playing at the Marcus Gurnee Mills Cinema, please visit their Showtimes page. If you're looking for the UltraScreen shows, look for that designation in the notes that appear below the showtimes.
Source: Marcus Theatres Press Release
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.