Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Orpheum Theatre
Add Your Comments
- 2015 Academy Award Winners [2/22]
- Vista, CA: Krikorian MetroPlex 15 at Vista Village Changes Owners, Now the Cinépolis USA - Vista [2/19]
- Pico Rivera, CA: Krikorian Pico Rivera Village Walk 15 Changes Owners, Now the Cinépolis USA - Pico Rivera [2/19]
- Los Angeles World Premiere of "Focus" on Tuesday, February 24, 2015 [2/19]
- Bloomington, IL: Carmike Ovation Cinema 10 Now Open [2/18]
- Joliet, IL: Cinemark Movies 10 Closed [2/11]
- Yulee, FL: Grand Opening for Carmike Coastal Cinemas 10 Scheduled for February 13, 2015 [2/11]
- Midlothian, VA: Carmike 10 - Richmond Reopening in March as Carmike Ovation 10 [2/11]
- Seattle, WA: Varsity Theatre Reopens February 13, 2015 [2/11]
- Canton, IL: Garden Theatre Closed [1/30]
The Orpheum Theatre in Madison, Wisconsin has been sold to Gus Paras on November 8, 2013, according to an article in The Daily Page:
"It was one of the few places I admired," says Paras, now a well-known downtown businessman. Last Friday, Paras quietly gained control of the landmark theater, which has been the subject of an ongoing power struggle.
Paras was one of at least two people expected to bid on the theater in a Nov. 5 auction. The concert promotion company Frank Productions was also expected to bid.
The theater's previous owners, Eric Fleming and Henry Doane, ended tangled up in lawsuits as they fought for control of the building. Doane bought it in 1999 and brought Fleming in as a business partner in 2003.Paras had gotten involved with Fleming in a separate business deal in Waukesha, which also soured. According to Paras, Fleming owed him about $1 million in that venture.
By forgiving that debt, Paras says he was able to buy Fleming's half share of the theater for $1.7 million. He expects to pay about another half-million paying off lien holders on the theater.
He says that the theater is in need of repairs. The roof, a boiler and the AC unit will all have to be replaced, and the plumbing needs work. And he would like to build a kitchen in the basement to provide catering for weddings and other events. He also plans on restoring the marquee and upgrading the lighting and sound system.
"That place is going to eat a lot of money before we go outside to fix the sign,” Paras says. "I'm going to wait on the sign until I fix everything else. I have no choice."
Paras, who also owns the Comedy Club on State, has big plans for the theater. In addition to concerts and weddings, he'd like to host more comedy shows, including a possible comedy festival. He also wants to screen films there and hopes the Orpheum will be a big part of next year's Wisconsin Film Festival.
Click the Read link to view the full article.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.