Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Carmike 15
Add Your Comments
- Austin, TX: Bob Bullock IMAX Theatre Closed Temporarily for Digital Conversion [1/26]
- Springfield, MA: Entertainment Cinemas - Springfield Plaza Closed [1/25]
- Valley Stream, NY: Sunrise Multiplex Cinemas Closed [1/23]
- Bedford, NY: Bow Tie Bedford Playhouse Closes [1/22]
- Ellsworth, ME: Maine Coast Cinemas 2 Closed [1/22]
- Clinton, MO: B & B Theatres Takes Over Missouri Cinema 6 [1/19]
- Marcus Theatres Adding Amenities to Select Locations [1/19]
- Kelso, WA: Regal Three Rivers Mall 12 & RPX Opens While Regal Three Rivers Mall 5 and Regal Triangle Cinemas 4 Close [1/16]
- 2015 Academy Award Nominations Announced [1/15]
- Students in Select Cities Can See "Selma" Free [1/13]
The Carmike 15 in Columbus, Georgia now has an IMAX screen for its guests to enjoy, according to a press release issued recently by Carmike Cinemas. The new auditorium opened to the public today December 13, 2013, with The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug An IMAX 3D Experience (HFR), and guests purchasing a ticket to one of the shows this weekend will receive a voucher good for "$3 off any Carmike concession combo" until the last showing on Sunday, December 15, 2013.
“With the ongoing expansion of Carmike’s national circuit we are truly delighted to also grow our partnership with IMAX. We remain focused on bringing our valued guests the finest in cutting-edge entertainment and we are especially pleased to bring more premium presentation choices to our own hometown market here in Columbus with The IMAX Experience®,” stated David Passman, President and CEO, Carmike Cinemas.
The theater won't have much competition for moviegoers wanting to see movies in an IMAX screen, as the closest locations playing first-run mainstream movies are all more than 90 minutes away in Macon, Atlanta, and Montgomery, Alabama. The IMAX Patriot Park - National Infantry Museum in Columbus is currently showing the documentaries Jerusalem 3D and We the People.
At first, we thought that the IMAX auditorium was going to replace the theater's BigD big-screen concept auditorium, which was installed in July 2010. BigD is Carmike's version of the upgraded experiences that many theater chains are offering, largely in response to the popularity of mainstream movies in IMAX auditoriums (and the ticket upcharges that come with them). The press release addresses this issue with the following statement:
Carmike’s BigD large format digital experience will remain at the Carmike 15 location, but in conjunction with the opening of the new IMAX auditorium, the BigD will relocate to another large auditorium. The combination of these two uniquely immersive experiences will ensure that guests at this facility will have more choice of premium formats than ever before – in both 2-D and 3-D.
To see when the IMAX and other movies are playing at the Carmike 15, head over to the Showtimes page for all the details!
Related News Articles
Carmike 15 being converted to IMAX just in time for 'The Hobbit' -- Ledger-Enquirer [Dec 4, 2013]
Source: Carmike Cinemas Press Release
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.