Remove ads with our VIP Service
Add Your Comments
- Culver City, CA: Pacific Culver Stadium 12 Closed for Conversion to ArcLight Cinemas Location [3/26]
- Washington, DC: West End Cinema Closing [3/24]
- Casper, WY: Studio City Mesa to Open March 27th, Downton Iris Stadium 8 Closed [3/23]
- Vineyard, UT: Megaplex Theatres - Geneva & IMAX Now Open [3/20]
- Cleveland Heights, OH: Regal Severance Town Center Stadium 14 Closed [3/20]
- Lawrenceville, GA: GTC Town Center Value Cinemas Closed [3/18]
- Queen Creek, AZ: Harkins Queen Creek 14 Opening March 19, 2015 [3/16]
- Los Angeles, CA: 9-Screen Cinemark Playa Vista and XD Now Open [3/13]
- Nicholasville, KY: AmStar 14 - Brannon Crossing to Become Movie Tavern Location in June 2015 [3/12]
- Lewiston, ME: Flagship Cinemas Closed [3/12]
Carmike Cinemas is planning to build a new 14-screen movie theater in Traverse City, Michigan, according to a recent press release issued by the company. The new theater will replace the Carmike Horizon Cinemas, which is located at 3587 Market Place Circle, but a specific timeframe for the two events was not given (the permits have yet to be approved).
An article on mlive.com mentions that the new theater will be built in place of the Horizon Outlet Mall, which is 50% vacant and will be demolished.
The new theater will include one of Carmike's big-screen concept BigD auditoriums, which will seat more than 500 people. The screen will reportedly be 70' wide by "three stories tall" and the sound system will start out with 7.1 channels of sound that can be expanded in the future to 11.1.
Carmike President and CEO David Passman was quoted in the press release as saying:
We are looking forward to further expanding our presence in Traverse City, which has proven to be a very good market for Carmike. We are very excited to bring this exceptional entertainment complex to the community and provide our valued guests from across the region with the ultimate in cinema-going entertainment. Our new theatre will feature large format digital presentation, bigger screens, better sound, and plush seating for the definitive enjoyment of all audiences. We currently have 22 BigD auditoriums throughout the country, following the recent debut of our newest addition in Colorado Springs late last year. Traverse City will soon join this select, but growing list of ‘Hometown America’ communities offering Carmike theatregoers BigD’s uniquely immersive, large screen presentation.
In addition to the Horizon Cinemas location, Carmike also operates the Carmike Grand Traverse Cinemas at 3200 S. Airport Road West, and ten other locations in Michigan. The press release states that Carmike Cinemas has 251 locations in 37 states.
Related News Articles
- Developers pitch 14-screen multiplex, new retail center at Traverse City outlet mall -- mlive.com [Jan 4, 2014]
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.