Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- Green Bay, WI: Silver Cinemas - East Town Budget Cinemas Closed [2/10]
- Milwaukee, WI: Former State Theater Severely Damaged by Fire [2/10]
- Lincoln, NE: Recliners Coming to Marcus Lincoln Grand Cinema [2/9]
- Orlando, FL: Cinemark Movie Theater Changes Name After Artegon Marketplace Closure [2/6]
- Kalamazoo, MI: Alamo Drafthouse Cinema Closing in April 2017, New Operator Expected [2/6]
- Corpus Christi, TX: Alamo Drafthouse Cinema Soft Opening on February 7, 2017 [2/1]
- Englewood, CO: UA Greenwood Plaza 12 Closed [1/31]
- Huntington Beach, CA: Regency Charter Centre Cinemas 5 Closed [1/31]
- Sitka, AK: Coliseum Theatre - Sawmill Creek Plaza Closed, Downtown Location Remains Open [1/31]
- Corpus Christi, TX: Alamo Drafthouse Cinema Opening February 10, 2017 [1/27]
The historic Avalon Theatre in Milwaukee, Wisconsin is planning to reopen to the public in June 2014, according to an article published in the Milwaukee Business Journal:
It looks like the Avalon Theatre is headed for a June opening, and you can be one of the first customers as part of a fundraiser for the Bay View Historical Society.
Ald. Tony Zielinski, whose district includes the Avalon, is helping organize an Avalon Preview Party at Horny Goat Hideaway May 20.
Tickets to the event will also get you seats at one of three soft openings planned for the Avalon in June, Zielinski said. The Horny Goat event will include food, soda and live music.
Click the Read link below to view the full article.
Theater opened in 1929 with a single auditorium that seated 1,637 people. It closed in 2000 and has been the subject of many attempts and rumors of renovation and rebirth since. The theater was purchased in 2005 by Lee Barczak, who also owns the Times Theater and Rosebud Cinema Drafthouse under the parent company name of Neighborhood Theater Group.
The latest plans include a main auditorium with seating for 240 people, and a back theater for 60-80 people. That's a far cry from its glory days, but it's probably the most manageable plan that was possible for the neighborhood theater. Similar to its other two siblings, the theater will serve food items and drinks, in addition to the traditional theater concessions.
Related News Articles
- Avalon Theatre's long-awaited renovation begins -- Milwaukee Business Journal [Nov 29, 2013]
- Avalon renovations to begin this month -- BayViewCompass.com [Nov 1, 2013]
- City panel recommends grant for Avalon Theater project -- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel [Jul 16, 2013]
- Avalon project seeks $300,000 from city of Milwaukee -- Milwaukee Business Journal [Jul 8, 2013]
- Historic Avalon Theater auctions off history [Video] -- Today's TMJ4 [Mar 15, 2013]
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2017, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.