Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Avalon Theatre
Add Your Comments
- Matthews, NC: Cinemark Movies 10 Closed [8/25]
- Groton, CT: Groton Cinema 6 Closed [8/25]
- Anaheim, CA: UltraStar GardenWalk Cinemas Closed [8/24]
- Scottsdale, AZ: UltraStar Scottsdale Pavilion 11 Closed [8/24]
- Sault Ste. Marie, MI: Carmike Varsity Cinemas Closed [8/24]
- Roanoke, TX: Cinemark Roanoke and XD Now Open [8/14]
- Tulsa, OK: Village Movies 8 Opens Today [7/31]
- Upper Darby, PA: Studio Movie Grill - Upper Darby Opened July 23, 2015 [7/30]
- California, MD: R/C Lexington Exchange Movies 12 Opens [7/30]
- Milwaukee, WI: Free Family Outdoor Movies at the Peck Pavilion [7/30]
The historic Avalon Theatre in Milwaukee, Wisconsin is planning to install a 24-foot-tall movie marquee, reminiscent of what was common in movie theaters many years ago, with electronic signage below, something that wasn't available when the theater opened in 1929.
The Milwaukee Business Journal published an article recently which shows the plans for the proposed sign and provides some details about what's necessary for the sign to be installed:
The owner of the Avalon Theatre is planning a 24-foot, old-fashioned movie marquee and tower for the property in Milwaukee’s Bay View neighborhood.
Owner Lee Barczak is renovating the 85-year-old theater at 2473 S. Kinnickinnic Ave., Milwaukee, and is expected to reopen it this summer. It has been closed since 2000.
The painted aluminum sign will be 24 feet tall and 24 feet across over the entrance to the theater, according to materials submitted to the Milwaukee Historic Preservation Commission.
The Historic Preservation Commission will hold a public hearing on the proposed sign at 3 p.m. April 15 at City Hall. The sign could also require approval from the Board of Zoning Appeals because of its size, Jakubovich said.
Click the Read link below to view the full article and photos/drawings.
The article goes on to mention that the theater is now planning for a July 2014 opening date. Previously, a June opening was targeted, but weather-related delays contributed to the new date.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.