Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- Fort Worth, TX: Luxury AMC Movie Theater Coming to The Shops at Clearfork [3/28]
- Warren, MI: MJR Universal Grand Cinema 16 Expected to Open April 7, 2017 [3/22]
- Gibsonton, FL: Goodrich Riverview 14 GDX Now Open [3/21]
- Hilliard, OH: Movie Tavern - Mill Run Closing April 9, 2017 [3/10]
- Fernandina Beach, FL: B & B Theaters Amelia Island 7 Opens in Former Carmike Island 7 Space [3/10]
- Chicago, IL: Chatham 14 Theaters Becomes Studio Movie Grill - Chatham [3/8]
- Fallston, MD: Fallston Movies Opens March 9, 2017 [3/8]
- Omaha, NE: Dundee Theatre Staging a Comeback [3/7]
- Omaha, NE: Marcus Midtown Cinema Closing? [3/7]
- Doral, FL: Cobb CinéBistro at CityPlace Doral to Open March 17, 2017 [3/7]
The R/C Cinemas 1-2-3 in Frostburg, Maryland closed August 17, 2014. A message on the R/C Theatres web site reads:
Cinemas 1 2 3 is no longer in operation
To be reimbursed for gift card balances please mail the card to:
PO Box 1056
Reisterstown, MD 21136
Be sure to include your name and mailing address
Email email@example.com with any other questions or issues
According to an article and radio interview posted on WCBC AM1270, the manager received word about the closing just a few days before the theater's final day of operation.
R/C Theatres operates nine locations in Maryland, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. Their closest location to the now-closed Frostburg location is the R/C Gateway Theater 8 in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, so if you have any gift cards for R/C Theatres, sending them in to the address above is likely the best option.
Employees and fans of the theater are working to reopen it, however. They rallied followers on their Facebook page and gathered over 2,100 signatures on a change.org petition. A week-long fundraising effort on Indiegogo failed (they raised just $120 of their $10,000 goal by the August 22nd deadline).
They are now working with California-based Movie Heroes, which reopened the Met Cinema in Oakhurst, California using a subscription-based model instead of the traditional method of ticket sales. The Cumberland Times-News interviewed Ann Rummel, the former manager of the theater, who described what will be needed to reopen the theater:
The former manager of Frostburg Cinemas 123, which was closed Sunday by R/C Theaters, has hooked up with California-based Movie Heroes in an effort to reopen the flick house.
“We need 2,000 subscriptions and then Movie Heroes will purchase the theater equipment and lease the building,” said Ann Rummel. “Right now we have less than 50 percent of the subscriptions we need.”
They have created a YouTube video that covers the situation:
If you are interested in the effort, you can visit movieheroes.com/frostburg for more information and to sign up. They are also taking signups in front of the theater building, so check out their Facebook page for more information. That page states that they need 2,000 people to subscribe in order for the theater to reopen, and as of this past weekend, they were saying that they were "under 50%" of what they needed.
Until the theater does reopen, moviegoers in the area will need to visit the Country Club Cinemas in Lavale, which is about five miles away.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2017, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.