Remove ads with our VIP Service
- The Sound of Music 
- Hilldale Theatre
Add Your Comments
- Glenview, IL: ArcLight Cinemas - Glenview Opening on April 30, 2015 [4/27]
- Culver City, CA: ArcLight Cinemas - Culver City Opening on April 30, 2015 [4/27]
- Ashburn, VA: Starplex Cinemas - Loudoun Luxury 11 Now Open [4/24]
- Dallas, TX: Cinepolis to Open Luxury Movie Theater in Victory Park [4/21]
- Lewisburg, WV: Lewisburg Cinema 8 Now Open [4/21]
- Fort Worth and Hurst, TX: Cinemark Upgrading Ridgmar 13 and North East Mall 18 Locations with Luxury Loungers [4/15]
- Chicago, IL: ArcLight Cinemas Opening in Lincoln Park in September 2015 [4/11]
- Glenview, IL: Pacific Glen Stadium 10 Closes for ArcLight Cinemas Conversion - Reopening on May 1, 2015 [4/11]
- Bangor, ME: Bangor Drive-In to Reopen After 30 Years [4/9]
- Tyler, TX: Studio Movie Grill Set to Open in April 2015 [4/3]
The operator of the Hilldale Theatre in Madison, Wisconsin has announced that the theater will be closing its doors next month. A press release on the Star Cinema web site says that the theater's doors will be closed forever on December 17, 2006.
To say a final farewell to the theater, audiences will have the chance to see "The Sound of Music" on the big screen, which was the first movie shown when the theater opened in 1966.
The showing will be the popular "Sing-a-Long Sound of Music" event that has made the rounds in the recent years. The audience is encouraged to dress up in character and sing along to the popular songs. There will even be subtitles so even if you can't hit the notes, you won't mess up the lyrics!
- The hills will be alive: 'Sound of Music' sing-along to close Hilldale Theatre -- The Capital Times
- Hilldale out, Sundance in -- Isthmus
You can read the full press release below.
Madison, Wisconsin - On January 19th 1966, the Hilldale Theatre opened its doors with the "The Sound of Music". Now after 40 years of showing great films to the Madison community, those doors will be closed forever on December 17th 2006. But audiences will have the opportunity to see "The Sound of Music" once again on the big screen and help Hilldale Theatre celebrate its final weekend with a very special version of the film.
The Hilldale Theatre will be showing the "Sing-a-Long Sound of Music" on December 15th, 16th, and 17th with two shows each day at 1:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. For those of you not yet converted, this sing-a-long version is a screening of the classic Julie Andrews film musical in glorious, full-screen Technicolor, complete with subtitles so that the whole audience can sing along!
The fun filled program starts with a vocal warm-up lead by your host for the event, who will take you through the complimentary "magic moments pack" containing various props to be used at strategic points throughout the show.
Then of course there is the famous costume competition in which everyone who has dressed up is invited to the stage to show off their tailoring skills. Prizes will be given out for the most creative. Costumes are not obligatory but highly recommended! Previous entries have included:
- Nuns of both genders
- Ray, a drop of golden sun
- Girls (and boys) in white dresses with blue satin sashes
- A lonely Goatherd
This is the perfect night out for families, co-workers, or anyone who's ever shed a tear during "Edelweiss".
We invite all our friends to come on down and help us celebrate our final weekend with this super spectacular event.
For ticket information call the Hilldale Theatre at 608-238-0206.
Source: Star Cinema Press Release
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.