Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Rave Cinemas Buckland Hills 18 & IMAX
- AMC Mayfair Mall 18
- Mayfair Mall Premium Cinema
Add Your Comments
- A Review of Laser-Based IMAX at TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX [4/21]
- Details Released About the Background of Star Wars Movie, "Rogue One" [4/20]
- See the Teaser Trailer for "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" in an IMAX Theater on April 20th [4/16]
- Dates Announced for 2016 Academy Awards and Nominations Announcement [4/14]
- Ahead of the 50th Anniversary of "The Sound of Music" Variety Interviews Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer [2/26]
- Watch the Trailer for the Short "Frozen Fever" That Will Be Shown Before "Cinderella" [2/26]
- See "Interstellar: The IMAX Experience" with 12 Minutes of Additional Footage at Select AMC Locations on February 21, 2015 [2/19]
- Neill Blomkamp Posts About Upcoming "Alien" Project [2/19]
- Buy One Ticket for "Black or White" Get One Free with This Offer - 2/13/15 - 2/19/15 [2/13]
- Spider-Man to Appear in Marvel Cinematic Universe, Next Spider-Man Movie Gets Release Date [2/10]
Deborah Hornblow of the Hartford Courant wrote an article in Thursday's edition that talks about the amenities that some movie theaters are providing their customers in the Hartford, Connecticut area. Here is a snippet from the article:
Going to the movies isn't just about seeing a motion picture anymore. Theater chains, faced with increased competition from cable television, home theaters, piracy and the ever-narrowing window between major film releases and the arrival of those titles on DVD, have gone on the offensive, reinventing the experience of theatergoing for a new generation. Today's moviegoers increasingly can expect a variety of entertainment at the multiplex - everything from champagne mimosas and stand-up comics to interactive games, telecasts of live sporting events, and full-scale bars and restaurants all under the same roof.
Click the Read link below to read the entire article and see photos taken at one of the theaters.
National Amusements recently opened a Chatters Restaurant at the Showcase Cinemas Buckland Hills in Manchester, CT and a bevy of additional upgrades are in store for that location. National Amusements is known for their "Cinema de Lux" locations, which emphasize customer service and upgrading the movie-going experience. Reserved seating, wider and more comfortable seats, and decor reportedly really set these theaters apart from the traditional multiplex.
I say reportedly since the Milwaukee-Chicago area is not graced with such theaters, and even though I have traveled as far as Dayton, Ohio for a movie, I have never had the pleasure of experiencing a Cinema de Lux theater first-hand. I may just have to schedule another trip to Ohio, as it seems that is the closest any Cinema de Lux location is to my area.
Since all I have to go on are articles and press releases which talk about how nice they are, and the memory of the long-gone Premium Cinemas at the Mayfair Mall 18 in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, I can only hope that locations like the Cinema de Lux become more common throughout the country.
Perhaps we'll get to the point where movie theaters will be like restaurants, in that you have the fast food variety that gets you in and gets you out and you get a fair product for a low price, and then the finer dining variety where you can take your time, enjoy yourself, and be treated to nice experience with service that rises above the "would you like butter with that?" level.
I would gladly pay extra to have nice seats, good concessions with a variety of better choices than just popcorn and pretzel bites, and above all, excellent presentations. How about it, movie chains?
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.