Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Black Christmas 
- Casino Royale 
- Charlotte's Web 
- Dreamgirls 
- Eragon 
- The Good Shepherd 
- Happy Feet 
- The Holiday 
- The Nativity Story 
- Night at the Museum 
- Night at the Museum: The IMAX Experience 
- The Pursuit of Happyness 
- Rocky Balboa 
- We Are Marshall 
Add Your Comments
- Jefferson, WI: Highway 18 Outdoor Theatre Featured on News 3, New Photos Added [7/20]
- Collectible "Terminator Genisys" Posters and Tickets at 3D Showings at AMC, Carmike, Cinemark, Marcus, and Regal Locations [6/29]
- Watch the First Five Minutes of "Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation" in IMAX Theaters Ahead of "Terminator Genisys: An IMAX 3D Experience [6/29]
- "AMC Cares Summer Throwbacks" Movie Series Benefits Charity with Past Hits [6/5]
- "Jaws" Returns to the Big Screen for its 40th Anniversary [5/29]
- A Review of Laser-Based IMAX at TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX [4/21]
- Details Released About the Background of Star Wars Movie, "Rogue One" [4/20]
- See the Teaser Trailer for "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" in an IMAX Theater on April 20th [4/16]
- Dates Announced for 2016 Academy Awards and Nominations Announcement [4/14]
- Ahead of the 50th Anniversary of "The Sound of Music" Variety Interviews Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer [2/26]
This weekend marks the last big push for the movie industry as we then begin a gentle slide towards the Academy Award nominations and award show. Sure, there are plenty of movies released in the January-February time frame, but it's traditionally a time when the studios open their Oscar-contenders (that they released in NY and LA to qualify) into more theaters, and to take a breath because audiences do the same (now there's a catch-22).
The last month's worth of releases are more than enough choices for you if you're planning on hitting the theaters this weekend and over the holiday break. Last week saw the release of "Charlotte's Web," "The Pursuit of Happyness," and "Eragon," as well as the continued strength of "Happy Feet" and "The Holiday."
"Casino Royale" is still doing pretty well also, racking up almost as much box office in its five weeks as "Happy Feet," which has been placed in more theaters country-wide. New Line is really hoping people will flock to "The Nativity Story," given the obvious connection to the weekend's holiday.
That would normally be enough to make a casual movie-goer pretty happy, but wait, we haven't even gotten to this week's releases yet!
Wednesday saw the release of "Rocky Balboa," which our Featured Movie Critic tags as the only Rocky sequel worth watching. Maybe Rocky's got a little fight left in him after all!
Today, we have Ben Stiller trying to keep a museum full of characters under control in "Night at the Museum," Matthew McConaughey in the real-life story "We Are Marshall," and Matt Damon in the CIA story "The Good Shepherd."
But wait, there's more! (I do miss those commercials, in a way)
Combine all those choices with the other movies currently playing in theaters, and you have 61 movies from which to choose this weekend! If I had a little time on my hands and I thought you would actually be interested, I'd total up the running times, but suffice it to say, you could do quite a marathon between Christmas and New Years!
My suggestion is to start with the New movies and work your way out from there. And don't forget, theaters are going to be just as busy as you are this weekend, so make sure to buy your tickets in advance, print them at home, and skip the lines of all those unfortunate souls who didn't do the same. Look for the links on the showtimes and click away!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.