Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- "First Look" Fan Event on February 28, 2017 for "Ghost in the Shell" at Select IMAX Theaters [2/16]
- Marcus Adds More Wehrenberg Locations to its Best Picture Festival [2/14]
- Watch All the Best Picture Nominees at AMC's Best Picture Showcase [1/26]
- See the Best Picture Nominees at Marcus Theatres' 2017 Best Picture Festival [1/26]
- Watch Best Picture Nominated Movies at Regal Cinemas Locations for One Price [1/26]
- Disney Classics Part of "The Enchanted Tales" Series at Marcus Theatres [1/26]
- $5 Tuesday Promotion Comes to Wehrenberg Theatres [1/16]
- LucasFilm and Disney Will Not Recreate Carrie Fisher's Likeness for "Star Wars: Episode IX" [1/15]
- A Rundown of the Reshoots and Work Done on "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" [1/15]
- An Examination of Iconic and Forgettable Soundtracks in Movies [12/15]
Ah, January. A time when Mother Nature takes a few whacks at us lowly humans by beating us silly with all kinds of nasty weather (at least here in the Northern Part of the US, anyway). Lately, she's been playing with us by giving us warm weather, and then taking it away, only to replace it with cold and rain. We might actually see snow for the first time in a month and a half. Nature can be cruel sometimes.
But so can the box office! Just look at the list of today's new releases, and with the knowledge that a horror flick set in Africa is the biggest release of the weekend, you'll feel a little battered around inside the theater as well as out.
Horror-thriller Primeval opens in over 2,400 screens, but that still puts it in fourth place behind Night at the Museum, The Pursuit of Happyness, and Charlotte's Web, according to BoxOfficeMojo.com. If you weren't inspired by Hillary Swank in last week's Freedom Writers, you've got another chance with Stomp the Yard, which is a story about a young man overcoming the death of his brother, going to college, and helping his fraternity win a step dancing competition.
Also new this week is Arthur and the Invisibles, an animated fantasy tale about a boy who tries to save his grandmother's home. Rounding out the list of wide releases is Alpha Dog, which is a drama from Nick Cassavetes (The Notebook, John Q) about a young boy who gets wrapped up in his older brother's troubles, and adapts to his new situation, only for things to go from bad to worse.
So, just like the weather, maybe things aren't as bad as they initially seem. Plus, while one person grumbles about not having any snow (that would be me), another rejoices in the fact that he doesn't have to shovel it or drive in it. I guess it's all a matter of perspective!
Have fun at the movies this weekend, and don't forget to write those Reader Reviews!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2017, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.