Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- Collectible "Terminator Genisys" Posters and Tickets at 3D Showings at AMC, Carmike, Cinemark, Marcus, and Regal Locations [6/29]
- Watch the First Five Minutes of "Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation" in IMAX Theaters Ahead of "Terminator Genisys: An IMAX 3D Experience [6/29]
- "AMC Cares Summer Throwbacks" Movie Series Benefits Charity with Past Hits [6/5]
- "Jaws" Returns to the Big Screen for its 40th Anniversary [5/29]
- A Review of Laser-Based IMAX at TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX [4/21]
- Details Released About the Background of Star Wars Movie, "Rogue One" [4/20]
- See the Teaser Trailer for "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" in an IMAX Theater on April 20th [4/16]
- Dates Announced for 2016 Academy Awards and Nominations Announcement [4/14]
- Ahead of the 50th Anniversary of "The Sound of Music" Variety Interviews Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer [2/26]
- Watch the Trailer for the Short "Frozen Fever" That Will Be Shown Before "Cinderella" [2/26]
There are five movies opening in theaters today, including a really strange-looking one starring Jim Carrey about a man's fascination about The Number 23, a corny-looking one starring Billy Bob Thornton hoping that everyone forgets about "Bad Santa" in his turn as an everyman Astronaut Farmer, and three others that won't make much of a splash in the box office.
But, come Monday, do you think anyone will be talking about any of these movies? Probably not. And that's because of the awards marathon that many say they hate but watch anyway called the Academy Awards. The 79th Annual Academy Awards for those keeping track at home.
ABC's broadcast starts at 7pm Central Time, but you can catch the pre-show activity starting at 12pm with E! doing their Countdown to the Red Carpet show, followed by their Live Coverage of Red Carpet arrivals starting at 5pm. Also, at 2pm, TV Guide's Countdown to the Oscars show begins, followed by Melissa and Joan "Who are You Wearing?" Rivers with their Red Carpet arrival coverage at 5pm (CT). Both shows are on the TV Guide channel.
Last year's broadcast of the awards was well-done, and I'm looking forward to watching it in HD again this year. Sure, it's long and drawn-out, but it's a tradition and a great opportunity to see lots of movie stars and look back on the last year in movies.
I'll be updating our records with the winners as they are announced, albeit in some amount of TiVo-provided delay (I rarely watch anything on live broadcast television, and when I do, I take advantage of that 30-minute buffer to sail through boring commercials and thank-you speeches that wear out their welcome).
If this weekend has you in an Oscar mood, don't forget that we have a special page in Now Showing dedicated to nominees and winners that are playing in theaters!
You may be surprised to know that 16 movies with nominations are currently playing, so if you haven't seen them all yet, you still have time before Sunday night to be more familiar with the award winners and the ones that got left behind by the Academy. I've got The Departed on HD DVD waiting for me, so I'm hoping to revisit Martin Scorsese's drama before he goes on to win for Best Director...
To check out the list of the aforementioned new movies this weekend, just click on the Read link below!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.