Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Cinemark 18 & XD
Los Angeles, CA
- Rave Cinemas The Greene 14 + IMAX
- Marcus Majestic Cinema of Brookfield
Add Your Comments
- Collectible "Terminator Genisys" Posters and Tickets at 3D Showings at AMC, Carmike, Cinemark, Marcus, and Regal Locations [6/29]
- Watch the First Five Minutes of "Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation" in IMAX Theaters Ahead of "Terminator Genisys: An IMAX 3D Experience [6/29]
- "AMC Cares Summer Throwbacks" Movie Series Benefits Charity with Past Hits [6/5]
- "Jaws" Returns to the Big Screen for its 40th Anniversary [5/29]
- A Review of Laser-Based IMAX at TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX [4/21]
- Details Released About the Background of Star Wars Movie, "Rogue One" [4/20]
- See the Teaser Trailer for "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" in an IMAX Theater on April 20th [4/16]
- Dates Announced for 2016 Academy Awards and Nominations Announcement [4/14]
- Ahead of the 50th Anniversary of "The Sound of Music" Variety Interviews Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer [2/26]
- Watch the Trailer for the Short "Frozen Fever" That Will Be Shown Before "Cinderella" [2/26]
The Hollywood Reporter is featuring an interview done with Shari Redstone, president of the National Amusements movie theater chain.
The interview covers some of the basics, like what National Amusements is doing internationally vs. domestically, and she takes the position that movie theaters aren't going away any time soon (naturally, she'd have that position).
One item of particular note is the discussion of high-end moviegoing at their theaters, like The Bridge: cinema de lux in Los Angeles, California. For more information about the features provided in their "Cinema de Lux" theaters, see this announcement of the opening of a new location in Beavercreek, Ohio. She mentions that the theaters have been very well received, and by catering to specific groups of people, they have been successful in attracting return customers. Marcus Theatres Corp. is trying this concept in their own fashion with the Marcus Majestic Cinema in Brookfield, Wisconsin, which is under construction and due to open in the near future.
I believe that creating a special experience for moviegoers is the best way for movie theaters to compete with the ever-shrinking home video release window and other forms of entertainment. The Redstone interview says that a study found that 70% of people think that movies should be seen in a movie theater. If that statistic is true, then it's the theater's game to lose. They need to earn the money of the moviegoing public, and creating a great movie-going experience is the best way I can think of to do that.
Click the Read link below to view the full interview.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.