Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- Con Air 
- The Condemned 
- Ghost Rider 
- Gone in 60 Seconds 
- The Invisible 
- Kickin' It Old Skool 
- Next 
- Spider-Man 3 
- The Weather Man 
- The Wicker Man 
- World Trade Center 
Add Your Comments
- Collectible "Terminator Genisys" Posters and Tickets at 3D Showings at AMC, Carmike, Cinemark, Marcus, and Regal Locations [6/29]
- Watch the First Five Minutes of "Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation" in IMAX Theaters Ahead of "Terminator Genisys: An IMAX 3D Experience [6/29]
- "AMC Cares Summer Throwbacks" Movie Series Benefits Charity with Past Hits [6/5]
- "Jaws" Returns to the Big Screen for its 40th Anniversary [5/29]
- A Review of Laser-Based IMAX at TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX [4/21]
- Details Released About the Background of Star Wars Movie, "Rogue One" [4/20]
- See the Teaser Trailer for "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" in an IMAX Theater on April 20th [4/16]
- Dates Announced for 2016 Academy Awards and Nominations Announcement [4/14]
- Ahead of the 50th Anniversary of "The Sound of Music" Variety Interviews Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer [2/26]
- Watch the Trailer for the Short "Frozen Fever" That Will Be Shown Before "Cinderella" [2/26]
Nicolas Cage stars in the new release "Next" as a man who can see two minutes into the future, and the government comes to him to stop a bomb detonation in Los Angeles.
There was a time when Cage's name on the movie poster alone would promise a good movie that would be entertaining, if not always Oscar-worthy. Cases in point: "The Rock," "Con Air," "Gone in 60 Seconds," and last year's "World Trade Center."
However, he's also had a few stinkers along the way, many of them recent. Most notably in that category are "The Weather Man" and last year's "The Wicker Man." Combined, those two movies had a budget of $75 million and made a total of just under $37 million in the U.S. box office. "Ghost Rider" enjoyed some modest success with a first place finish when it opened in February, but it just barely made back its $110 million budget in the U.S. box office.
So, can we trust Nicolas Cage's name attached to a movie to judge its potential? Maybe, maybe not. Our Featured Critic calls the movie inconsistent with characters that are not well developed. I suggest you check out the full plot summary, photos from the movie, and the trailer and decide for yourself.
If you decide to pass on "Next" you've got some other choices to pick from. Like a strange cross between "Survivor" and YouTube, WWE's Stone Cold Steve Austin stars in "The Condemned." Prisoners with a death sentence are sent to an island to fight to the death, with the winner getting his freedom.
In "The Invisible," a writer with a bright future is attacked and left for dead, and now stuck in limbo, his only chance to live is to solve the mystery behind his attack. If you think that's a strange plot for a movie, check out Jamie Kennedy as a break dancer in "Kickin' It Old Skool."
But come next weekend, all of these movies will be a distant memory. "Spider-Man 3" opens in theaters for midnight shows on Thursday, with a full slate of showtimes on Friday. It's going to be kicking off one of the biggest summer blockbuster seasons we've seen in a long time!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.