Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- A Snapshot of 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray - 80k players, 88 titles, 1 million discs sold [11/8]
- High-Def Digest Previews the Sony UBP-X1000ES Ultra HD Blu-ray Player [9/29]
- OPPO Digital Confirms Upcoming Ultra HD Blu-ray Player [9/26]
- Sony Announces 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player for Spring 2017 Release [9/15]
- Yamaha Announces RX-A 60 Series AVENTAGE AV Receivers [5/17]
- Yamaha Announces RX-V 81 Series A/V Receivers, Featuring Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, and 4K Ultra HD [4/6]
- Yamaha Releases DTS:X and HDMI 2.0a Firmware Updates [4/6]
- DTS:X and HDMI 2.0a Update for More Marantz Models Now Available [3/3]
- Denon Releases DTS:X and HDMI 2.0a Firmware Update for AVR-X4200W and AVR-X6200W [2/18]
- Yamaha Announces Spring 2016 Timeframe for DTS:X Firmware Updates for Select AV Receivers, AV Processor, and Sound Bars [2/17]
|DIRECTV LAUNCH SUCCESSFUL -- A Russian Proton rocket lifts off Saturday morning from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan, carrying the DIRECTV 10 satellite to orbit. The launch was managed by International Launch Services of McLean, Va. (Photo: Business Wire)|
On Friday, DirecTV successfully launched a new satellite, DirecTV 10, which is intended to deliver more HD channels to its subscribers and fulfill DirecTV's promise to provide "up to 100 HD channels" by the end of the year.
DirecTV is planning to have the new satellite fully operational by September, providing both national HD channels and spot-beam local HD channels to select markets.
According to a press release issued by DirecTV, it has agreements in place to roll out multiple HD channels from top content providers such as Disney, Discovery Communications, A&E Television Networks, HBO, Fox, Turner, NBC Universal, Showtime Networks, Starz and Scripps Networks, among others.
Another satellite, aptly named DirecTV 11, is scheduled for launch in early 2008 to support further HD expansion. Between the two satellites, DIRECTV will be capable of delivering more than 1,500 local HD channels and 150 national HD channels, in addition to new advanced programming services for customers.
Bottom line: DirecTV is getting closer to being able to expand its HD offerings and making that extra money we HD DirecTV customers are spending worth a little more in the process. Who knows, maybe they'll back off from their "HD-lite" style of service, so we can get all the resolution and video quality we deserve! (DirecTV's HD service is good, but anyone with an HD DVD player will attest to how much more quality is possible)
Sources: DirecTV Press Release, International Launch Services Press Release
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2017, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.