Remove ads with our VIP Service
- Captivity 
- Hairspray 
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: An IMAX 3D Experience 
- I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry 
- Transformers 
Add Your Comments
- Ahead of the 50th Anniversary of "The Sound of Music" Variety Interviews Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer [2/26]
- Watch the Trailer for the Short "Frozen Fever" That Will Be Shown Before "Cinderella" [2/26]
- See "Interstellar: The IMAX Experience" with 12 Minutes of Additional Footage at Select AMC Locations on February 21, 2015 [2/19]
- Neill Blomkamp Posts About Upcoming "Alien" Project [2/19]
- Buy One Ticket for "Black or White" Get One Free with This Offer - 2/13/15 - 2/19/15 [2/13]
- Spider-Man to Appear in Marvel Cinematic Universe, Next Spider-Man Movie Gets Release Date [2/10]
- South Miami, FL: See an Advanced Screening of "Focus" at AMC Sunset Place 24 on Feb 4, 2015 [2/3]
- National Amusements Celebrates National Popcorn Day with Free Popcorn [1/16]
- Get Your First Look at the Trailer for "Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens" on Friday, Nov 28th [11/25]
- Remembering "The Terminator" on its 30th Anniversary with an Interview with Van Ling and Ian Nathan [10/28]
Last weekend's box office race wasn't even close. "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" surprised no one by taking the top spot with $77 million over the weekend, pushing its total since its Wednesday opening to almost $140 million.
"Transformers" put in a respectable second-place finish in its third week of release, while the "torture-porn" flick "Captivity" fared poorly with a 12th place finish of less than $1.5 million. Its performance may mark the beginning of the end for such movies, but we shall see this fall when Saw IV is released in theaters. Maybe "Captivity" was just a really bad movie, as was the viewpoint of our Featured Movie Critic.
Thankfully, we have a fresh crop of new releases to entertain us this weekend. John Travolta, Queen Latifah, and Michelle Pfeiffer headline "Hairspray" which is a remake of a movie which was an adaptation of a musical (or something like that). The initial reviews are positive and it looks fun.
The other big release this weekend is "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry" with Adam Sandler and Kevin James. It sounds like you see the best parts of the movie in the trailer, and only Adam Sandler fans will be happy with the rest.
We have lots of showtimes for upcoming movies already, so be sure to check those out as well. The "New Movies" page always shows new and upcoming releases for which we have showtimes, so it's a quick way to see what's playing and what's coming out shortly!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.