Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
- The Brave One 
- Good Luck Chuck 
- Resident Evil: Extinction 
- Sydney White 
- 3:10 to Yuma 
Add Your Comments
- Collectible "Terminator Genisys" Posters and Tickets at 3D Showings at AMC, Carmike, Cinemark, Marcus, and Regal Locations [6/29]
- Watch the First Five Minutes of "Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation" in IMAX Theaters Ahead of "Terminator Genisys: An IMAX 3D Experience [6/29]
- "AMC Cares Summer Throwbacks" Movie Series Benefits Charity with Past Hits [6/5]
- "Jaws" Returns to the Big Screen for its 40th Anniversary [5/29]
- A Review of Laser-Based IMAX at TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX [4/21]
- Details Released About the Background of Star Wars Movie, "Rogue One" [4/20]
- See the Teaser Trailer for "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" in an IMAX Theater on April 20th [4/16]
- Dates Announced for 2016 Academy Awards and Nominations Announcement [4/14]
- Ahead of the 50th Anniversary of "The Sound of Music" Variety Interviews Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer [2/26]
- Watch the Trailer for the Short "Frozen Fever" That Will Be Shown Before "Cinderella" [2/26]
These days, it's difficult to complain about the wide array of genres available in movie theaters, even though the actual movies taking up spots in those genres may be of variable quality. While I'll leave it up to each reader to decide where this week's releases land on the quality scale, here's a brief rundown of the genres represented.
Still going strong are the Drama "The Brave One" and the Western "3:10 to Yuma." They were #1 and #2 respectively in the box office last weekend. The latter still commands the highest number of theaters, which probably means a few more Westerns have been sent through the approval process in the last couple of weeks.
New this week is the Action/Adventure movie "Resident Evil: Extinction," the third installment of the series based on the popular video game. This time, our hero lands in Las Vegas, but the fountains at the
Mirage Bellagio are no longer dancing to the music. She's forced to battle the effects of a virus which threatens the human race with extinction.
Looking for something a little lighter? How about Dane Cook and Jessica Alba in the Romantic Comedy "Good Luck Chuck?" The story is about a guy suffering from a curse placed on him in his youth where he can start a relationship with a woman but never fall in love. Worse yet, women have found that they find true love, right after sleeping with him -- with the next guy they meet, which makes him a bit of a good luck charm.
Jessica Alba plays an accident prone penguin handler who just might need some his luck, if not just to keep from running into things. As he falls for her, Chuck has to figure out how to deal with his long-running curse before he loses her for good.
Going even lighter, we have "Sydney White," starring Amanda Bynes in a combination of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" and "Revenge of the Nerds." Bynes plays a college freshman who ditches her sorority sisters and takes up residence with seven dorky outcasts.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.