Remove ads with our VIP Service
Add Your Comments
- Purchase Deborah Willis' Book "Reflections in Black" [8/27]
- "Edge of Tomorrow" Effectively Renamed in Home Video Release [8/21]
- Soundtrack for "If I Stay" Features Music from Willamette Stone and Others [8/4]
- "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit" Coming to Blu-ray/DVD on June 10, 2014 [3/17]
- "The Wolf of Wall Street" Comes to Blu-ray on March 25, 2014 and Download March 18, 2014 [2/20]
- Save Up to $7.50 on a Ticket to See "Robocop" [2/13]
- Buy 2, Get 1 Free Offer at Amazon.com - Expires Dec. 21, 2013 [12/17]
- Soundtrack for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug to be Released on December 10, 2013 [11/6]
- Gold Box Deal of the Day: Save Up To 72% On The "Alien Anthology Collection" and "Prometheus" on Blu-ray [11/1]
- Get a $3 MP3 Credit with Purchase of Select Gift Cards at Amazon.com [9/27]
Another one of our Gift Shop merchants is having a sale on Blu-ray high definition discs! Unlike the J&R sale where you could get good prices on single units (but pay somewhat high shipping fees), Amazon.com's deal is "Buy One Get One Free" and if your total comes to $25 or more, you get free shipping!
- Enemy of the State
- The Prestige
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
Other stores may be having a similar sale, so check out your favorite retailer if Amazon and J&R's aren't your style.
Call me a little dense, but it took me a little while to figure out why this sale was happening. Then I saw a mention about it on a forum that the Blu-ray camp was attempting to draw attention away from the first really big loss that they are suffering from the decision by Paramount and Dreamworks to release movies in the HD DVD high definition format only.
That loss is in the form of today's release of "Transformers" on HD DVD. This release is not available on the Blu-ray disc format, and given the fact that the movie has earned over $700M and still going strong in IMAX theaters around the country (the regular version is still in a few 2nd run theaters), and that the two DVD versions are ranked #1 and #3 with the HD DVD ranked #4 on Amazon's top sellers list, the loss of such a big title has to hurt just a little.
Sales numbers for both HD disc formats are pretty low right now, so the pain being felt by the Blu-ray Disc Association is more pride than revenue. While a single title probably doesn't make lots of people go out and buy a $230 HD DVD player, the loss of bragging rights by a group that is so very quick to brag is significant in its own right.
While those who have chosen to buy a Blu-ray player but not an HD DVD player probably aren't very happy that the movie won't be available in their chosen format, at least some bargain prices on movies that are on the Blu-ray format can ease the pain somewhat.
I haven't seen Transformers yet, but Netflix just delivered the HD DVD today, so I'm hoping to sit down soon and see what all the fuss is about!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your ZIP Code -- the site remembers your ZIP code, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.