Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- Upper Darby, PA: Studio Movie Grill - Upper Darby Opened July 23, 2015 [7/30]
- California, MD: R/C Lexington Exchange Movies 12 Opens [7/30]
- Milwaukee, WI: Free Family Outdoor Movies at the Peck Pavilion [7/30]
- Milwaukee, WI: "The Princess Bride" Event Coming to the Riverside Theater [7/24]
- North Haven, CT: Cinemark North Haven and XD Now Open [7/24]
- Athens, GA: Carmike Ovation 12 Opens After Renovations [7/20]
- Washington, DC: West End Cinema Reopened by Landmark Theatres [7/15]
- Cary, NC: Frank Theatres - Parkside Town Commons Stadium 11 & Xtreme Now Open [7/14]
- Malco Theatres Kids Summer Film Fest 2015 [6/30]
- 2015 Summer Movie Series at Georgia Theatre Company Locations [6/30]
Texas Instruments announced last week that they have surpassed 5,000 installations of their DLP Digital Cinema Projection systems.
According to their press release (included below), 5,260 DLP Cinema systems have been installed in 42 countries and on every continent except Antarctica. They are hoping to cross the 10,000 mark by the end of 2008, which should be possible, given recent agreements that they have signed with some of the largest exhibitors in the United States.Digital Cinema Projection systems use hard drives to store movies instead of film and specialized electronic projectors to display the image on the big screen. It is also the technology behind the recent and upcoming 3D releases of movies like "The Nightmare Before Christmas in Disney Digital 3D" and "Beowulf: Digital 3D." Studios save money by not having to create and ship reels of film stock around to different theaters, and while film is capable of higher-quality images, the reality is that most theaters are not able to project film in a way that leverages that higher capability. In our experience, we have not seen artifacts related to the digital projection system and we have enjoyed a scratch-free and rock solid image.
You can read more about Digital Cinema Projection in our Help Section: What is Digital Cinema Projection?
Recent Related Articles
- New Berlin, WI: Marcus Ridge to Get 3D Digital Cinema Installation by Thanksgiving, Marcus Announces More UltraScreens On the Way
- Madison, WI: Point Cinema to be Marcus' First 3D Digital Cinema Installation
- Marcus Theatres to Feature NCM Programming at Select Locations - Made Possible w/ Digital Cinema Projectors
- Clinton Township, MI: MJR Partridge Creek Cinema Opens 10/19/2007 - All 14 Screens Equipped w/ Digital Cinema Projection Systems
- National Amusements to Add National CineMedia Event Capability to 25 Locations
- Carson City, NV: Galaxy Theatres to Launch All-Digital Cineplex August 3, 2007
- Malco, Megaplex, and Premiere Theaters Transform Multiplexes With Dolby Digital Cinema
- Marquee Cinemas Makes Digital Cinema Deal
- Number of Digital Cinema Screens Pass 4,000 Worldwide, But Can't Get to 1 in Milwaukee
DLP Cinema® Technology Surpasses 5,000 Screen Milestone
Deployed by Every Major Circuit including AMC, Carmike, Cinemark and Regal Cinema – Now Showing in 42 Countries and Every Continent except Antarctica
Dallas, TX –October 17, 2007: Texas Instruments (TI) (NYSE: TXN) today announced that its DLP Cinema® technology has surpassed the 5,000 screen milestone on a path to doubling that next year. There are 5,260 DLP Cinema enabled theatres installed across the globe, an increase of 140% from the same period one year ago.
The pristine picture quality and ideal combination of contrast, color and brightness created by DLP Cinema allowed DLP Cinema technology to quickly become the industry standard. DLP Cinema® technology is deployed throughout 99% of the digital cinema market and is in every continent in the world except Antarctica. DLP Cinema expects to surpass 5,500 screens by mid November, 2007 and 10,000 screens by the end of 2008.
In today’s highly competitive commercial theatrical market, DLP Cinema®, the authority in digital cinema projection and imaging, is making it more economical for theatres to show both 2D and 3D feature presentations using the only proven single projector solution, as compared to other emerging and commercially unproven formats. DLP Cinema projectors are at the heart of 3-D feature presentations and 3-D movies have grown rapidly through 2007 to become a key catalyst in the expansion of DLP Cinema systems in the U.S. 300 additional DLP Cinema projectors are expected to be fitted with 3-D capability in anticipation of the November release of Beowulf from Paramount Pictures, bringing the total 3-D equipped movie screens in the U.S. to 1,000.
“DLP Cinema® continues to be the driving force behind digital cinema,” said Nancy Fares, Business Manager for DLP Cinema Products Group. “As companies like Real D and Dolby continue to push 3-D developments on DLP projection technology, DLP Cinema installations are surging to deliver the world’s most engaging movie theatre experience.”
“DLP Cinema is a bulletproof projection technology. We selected DLP Cinema due to its proven reliability and picture quality as well as the film-like presentation. We count on our partners, including DLP Cinema, to help us exceed our goal of delivering a superior cinema experience,” said Michael W. Patrick, President & CEO of Carmike Cinemas.
For more information about DLP Cinema technology, or to find a movie theatre near you equipped with DLP Cinema projectors, please visit: www.dlpcinema.com.
About Texas Instruments DLP Products
DLP display technology from Texas Instruments offers clarity down to the most minute detail, delivering pictures rich with color, contrast and brightness to large-screen HDTVs and projectors for business, home, professional venue and digital cinema (DLP Cinema®). 75 of the world's top projection and display manufacturers design, manufacture and market products based on DLP technology. DLP is the only HDTV technology built from a foundation in the digital cinema where it set the industry standard demonstrated by the deployment of DLP Cinema technology in 5,000 theaters worldwide. At the heart of every DLP chip is an array of up to 2.2 million microscopic mirrors which switch incredibly fast to create a high resolution, highly reliable, full color image. DLP technology’s chip architecture and inherent speed advantage provides razor-sharp images and excellent reproduction of fast motion video. Since early 1996, more than 13 million DLP subsystems have been shipped. For more information, please visit www.dlp.com.
About Texas Instruments:
Texas Instruments Incorporated provides innovative DSP and analog technologies to meet our customers’ real world signal processing requirements. In addition to Semiconductor, the company includes the Educational Technology business. TI is headquartered in Dallas, Texas, and has manufacturing, design or sales operations in more than 25 countries.
Texas Instruments is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TXN. More information is located on the World Wide Web at www.ti.com.
DLP and DLP Cinema are registered trademarks of Texas Instruments.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2015, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.