Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- On Home Video: "Collateral Beauty" [2/28]
- On Home Video: "Sing" - March 21, 2017 [2/21]
- "Jack Reacher: Never Go Back" on Home Video January 31, 2017 [1/30]
- "Nocturnal Animals" Coming to Home Video February 21, 2017 [1/30]
- "Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them" Coming to Home Video March 28, 2017 [1/28]
- On Home Video: "Arrival" - February 14, 2017 [1/11]
- Gift Cards Make Great Gifts! [12/23]
- On Home Video: December 6, 2016 - Jason Bourne, The Secret Life of Pets, and more [12/7]
- Read the Book Before You See "The Shack" [12/5]
- Gift Cards for Theaters and Restaurants Make Great Gifts! [12/1]
Panasonic is looking to jumpstart adoption of their Blu-ray players by bundling them with their plasma televisions this holiday season!
For an unknown amount of time, many retailers will be offering a $500 discount when you buy a 42" or 50" Panasonic plasma television and a Panasonic DMP-BD30K Blu-ray player together. Since the Blu-ray player goes for $500, that's basically getting the player for free!
Right now, the only retailer I found online that offered this promotion was Best Buy (see promotion page), but word has it that other big box retailers should be following suit shortly.
This is only a good deal if you're in the market for a new plasma TV and if one of the two TV's that are part of this deal are any good. I did find a review on Home Theater Magazine's web site for the TH-42PZ700U and TH-50PZ700U (different models than those being offered by Best Buy, but they may be similar) which was positive for the most part, even if there are some issues with deinterlacing performance and some question about its ability to take in a 1080p24 signal for the best possible performance from that Blu-ray player, but it has enough going for it that it may be worth checking out if you're in the market.
The Blu-ray player, on the other hand, is one of the best of the bunch right now. It's one of the few Final Standard Profile / Bonus View / Profile 1.1 compatible units, which means that the upcoming Blu-ray discs that have true Picture-in-Picture will be able to be enjoyed fully on this unit. You'll need an HDMI receiver that decodes Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio in order to enjoy those formats, but every Blu-ray player has some trade-offs.
- TH-50PZ77U Plasma HDTV Specs -- Panasonic web site
- TH-42PZ77U Plasma HDTV Specs -- Panasonic web site
- DMP-BD30K Blu-ray Player Specs -- Panasonic web site
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2017, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.