Remove ads with our VIP Service
Add Your Comments
- Streator, IL: Majestic Theatre Closed, Up For Sale [8/26]
- Frostburg, MD: R/C Theatres Closes R/C Cinemas 1-2-3, Employees Launch Effort to Reopen [8/25]
- Teicher Theatres Closes All Locations [8/25]
- Santa Monica, CA: Watch the Extended Versions of All Three LOTR Movies at the Aero Theatre on August 30, 2014 [8/21]
- Lodi, CA: Lodi Stadium 12 Cinemas Temporarily Closed for Bedbugs [8/20]
- Hollywood, CA: World Premiere of "If I Stay" on August 20, 2014 at Chinese Theatre [8/20]
- Carmike Completes Acquisition of Digital Cinema Destinations Corp. [8/19]
- AMC Theatres to Install IMAX in 11 Locations in Chicago, New York, Newark, and Phoenix [8/19]
- Austin, TX: Alamo Drafthouse Cinema - South Lamar Reopens [8/18]
- West Melbourne, FL: Grand Opening of Carmike West Melbourne 12 on August 13, 2014 [8/11]
If you want to see Johnny Depp singing on the big screen in the movie "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street," you'll need to go somewhere other than a theater run by Marcus Theatres Corp.
According to multiple news reports, Marcus is not going to be showing the movie at its theaters due to the high cost requested by the studio, Paramount Pictures. Here's a quote from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel article "Marcus Slashes 'Sweeney Todd'":
Bruce J. Olson, president of Marcus Theatres, said: "This decision was reluctantly reached because the price requested by Paramount to show the film in Marcus Theatres was too expensive in the opinion of our film buyers. . . . We must be able to control all of our costs so that we can continue to provide the best entertainment value for our guests."
This is the first time I can think of that a large theater chain has declined to book a movie because of the pricing structure from the studio/distributor. However, as margins continue to shrink and the agreements that theaters are asked to agree to, this might come up more often in the future.
It will also be interesting to see if there is a last-minute play by both parties that will result in the movie playing in Marcus locations after all.
- Marcus Theatres won't show new Depp movie -- Small Business Times
- Dispute with Paramount leads Marcus to pass on 'Sweeney Todd' -- The Business Journal
- 'Sweeney Todd' not coming to a theater near you -- Duluth News Tribune
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your ZIP Code -- the site remembers your ZIP code, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2014, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.