Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- Watch Free Kid-Friendly Movies This Summer at Allen Theatres Locations [5/27]
- Kids Summer Movies at Megaplex Theatres - 10 Movies 10 Weeks for $10 [5/27]
- Watch Family Movies for Free at These Marquee Cinemas Locations [5/27]
- Frank Theatres Announces 2016 Summer Kids Series [5/27]
- Free Kids Movies at Cobb Theatres This Summer [5/27]
- Kid-Friendly Movies at Georgia Theatre Company Locations This Summer [5/27]
- $2 Movies at Malco Theatres' Kids Summer Film Fest Benefits Children's Hospitals [5/27]
- Free Movies at Bow Tie Cinemas During Summer Kids Series 2016 [5/27]
- Harkins Theatres Offers 2016 "Summer Movie Fun" Series - 10 Movies, 10 Weeks, Less than $1 Per Movie [5/26]
- Summer Kids' Flicks at Southern Theatres Locations [5/26]
In a follow-up to the news that the Golden Globe Awards ceremony on January 13, 2008 would be without any celebrities to accept the awards and fill the seats with faces people would want to watch for a couple of hours, the Los Angeles Times is reporting that NBC has pulled the plug on the ceremony altogether:
Hollywood's awards season locomotive was derailed Monday when NBC pulled the plug on its highly rated Golden Globes, choosing not to broadcast on Sunday what promised to be a virtually celebrity-free ceremony.
The article goes on to speculate that the Academy Awards ceremony on February 24th might also be in jeopardy. I would imagine that the people behind the Oscars will do everything in their power to keep that from happening, but it's possible.
I'm thinking that the effective cancellation of the Golden Globes, and the possibility that the same could happen to the Academy Awards, may make people aware of the real impact these shows really have on what movies are worth paying attention to. Does anyone know who the Hollywood Foreign Press is? Did you even realize that was who put out the Golden Globes?
If you're looking for what movies were good in the past year, I think it's much better to look elsewhere than a bunch of people whose business it is to produce television specials and the associate marketing that surrounds those awards.
Take a look at the 2007 Top 10 and Bottom 10 lists and the all-time top 100 list compiled by our Featured Movie Critic, James Berardinelli. Check out our own Reader Reviews, which have been written by your fellow BigScreen readers. The IMDb has a very good user ranking system as well, where the good movies (as judged by the masses) appear at the top of the rating scales. One look at the top 20 or so titles should confirm whether it has merit for your tastes.
Even if the Academy Awards ceremony does happen, but there aren't writers to produce the show, imagine if they were forced to pare the show down to just a couple of hours instead of the marathon that it so often turns into! It would set the expectation in later years that the show definitely doesn't need to be longer than the movies they are celebrating...
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.