Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- Larchmont, NY: Bow Tie Larchmont Playhouse Closed [9/26]
- Allen, TX: Renovations Coming to Cinemark Allen 16 and XD [9/21]
- Danvers, MA: Hollywood Hits Theatre Closed [9/12]
- Chattanooga, TN: Regal Hamilton Place 8 Reopens [9/9]
- Waukee, IA: Proposed Theater Plans Include Largest IMAX Screen in U.S. [9/8]
- San Jose, CA: Camera 12 to Close Friday [9/8]
- Lexington, KY: Cinemark Movies 10 - Woodhill Closed [9/7]
- Oxford, ME: Flagship Cinemas Reopens as Luxury Theater [9/6]
- New York, NY: AMC Announces Reserved Seating at All Manhattan AMC Locations [9/1]
- Pleasant Hills, PA: Carmike Southland 9 Closed [8/25]
Once again, Marcus Theatres will not be showing a movie produced by Paramount Pictures. The last time, it was the Johnny Depp slasher-musical Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. This time, however, its the highly publicized and hyped movie Cloverfield, which is produced by J.J. Abrams of TV's "Lost" and Mission: Impossible III fame.
The Business Journal of Milwaukee is reporting that the issue this time is the same as it was last time; price:
"Our negotiations with this film distributor have again reached an impasse," said Bruce Olson, president of Marcus Theatres. "Marcus Theatres did not show 'Sweeney Todd' on its first run availability date because acceptable terms could not be negotiated and now we will not be exhibiting 'Cloverfield' at any of our locations for similar reasons."
Click the Read link below to read the full article.
The impact of Marcus' decision with Sweeney Todd probably wasn't that big a deal for either the exhibitor or the studio, as the movie only opened on less than 1,300 screens. Cloverfield is scheduled to open on 3,100 screens on Friday, which is a much wider release. Given the hype surrounding the movie, there will likely be a major push for people to see it this weekend, and if Marcus takes a couple of weeks to come to terms with Paramount, the bulk of movie traffic may have already seen the movie. According to the article, there are 49 Marcus Theatres locations in the United States, with a total of 594 screens.
While this is bad news for those of you without theaters nearby other than Marcus locations, it's gotta be good news for the non-Marcus theaters that are nearby to those locations! As always, you can find showtimes for Cloverfield for a movie theater near you by going to the movie's showtimes page. Some theaters have scheduled midnight shows on Thursday in anticipation of the demand for the movie, so don't forget to check out the times on Thursday as well!
Keep in mind that many theaters have not submitted their showtimes yet for this Friday. We do get some on Mondays, but the majority of them come in on Tuesday and Wednesday. We do multiple updates per day, so check back often and purchase your tickets in advance if possible!
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.