Remove ads with our VIP Service
Share This Page
Add Your Comments
- Universal Pictures Commits to Ultra HD Blu-ray Releases Starting in Summer 2016 [4/20]
- "Joy" Coming to Blu-ray, Ultra HD Blu-ray, and DVD on May 3, 2016 [3/8]
- "Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens" Comes to Home Video in April 2016 [3/3]
- "Daddy's Home" Coming to Blu-ray March 22, 2016 with DTS:X Soundtrack [2/29]
- "The Big Short" Coming to Home Video March 15, 2016 [2/18]
- Ultra HD Blu-ray Movies and Samsung's Player Starting to Appear [2/17]
- Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Announces First Round of Movies to Be Released on Ultra HD Blu-ray [12/30]
- "Crimson Peak" Coming to Blu-ray February 9, 2016 with DTS:X Soundtrack [12/8]
- Get 15% off Fandango Gift Card orders of $75 this Black Friday and Cyber Monday - Ends 11/30/15 [11/27]
- Sony Pictures Announces Its First 4K Ultra HD Titles - Arriving in Early 2016 [11/11]
Our Gift Shop merchant Amazon.com has launched a new store for independent movies and art-house style movies called the "Indie & Art House" store.
In this new specialty store within the Amazon.com web site, fans of independent movies can preview, review, and discuss their favorite movies and find out what's new in the industry of movies that don't reach the mainstream conciousness the way blockbusters movies do.
Actor, director, and producer Jon Favreau, who has been involved in past movies like Elf, Swingers, and Made, and is in the process of finishing the upcoming super-hero movie The Iron Man, has been selected as the store's first Independent Voices curator. He will be reviewing and recommending movies that tread new ground or that have gone largely unnoticed by audiences.
"I’m excited to be a part of Amazon Independent Voices and to have the opportunity to shine the spotlight on well-deserving indie films," said Jon Favreau. "It’s always a challenge for small films to connect with fans and moviegoers, but with the help of programs like Independent Voices we can make a difference and help generate excitement around these special movies."
The store is launching with 25,000 movies that span the genres of action/adventure, comedy, drama, horror, martial arts, and romance. In addition to lots of interactivity features with other site visitors, the main point of the store is, of course, to get consumers to purchase movies on DVD and via their online download service, Unbox.
As an example of what this store has to offer, I checked out Favreau's first selection, Miller's Crossing, which appeared in theaters in 1990. The movie's box office gross was only about $5 million, but it has a fairly high 7.9 rating on the IMDb's User Ratings scale.
The page above has a trailer for the movie as well as some info about the director, Joel Cohen. It wouldn't be Amazon.com without a purchase link for the DVD, which is currently for sale for $9.98.
Speaking of purchase links, there are plenty to be had, including sales offers of up to 55% on Indie & Art House films, a group of selections from the 2007 Sundance Film Festival, and a way to browse all films by genre, country, director, language, and theme.
Add Your Comments
No comments found. Be the first and let us know what you think!
Add Your Comments
|Commenting on Journal Articles is available only to our readers who have customized this site, which makes it easier for you to complete the form and for us to contact you with any questions or concerns about your comments.|
Please login or register a new account before continuing.
Log in to retrieve your saved settings.
Forget Your Passcode?Send My Passcode To Me
Not Registered? Create a New Account!
Our registered members enjoy more features, including:
- Save Your Location -- the site remembers your location, no having to re-enter it each time you visit
- Favorite Theaters List -- keep a handy list of the theaters you attend
- Favorite Movies List - movies you want to see, all in one place
- Write Movie Reviews -- share your opinions of the movies you see
- Block Ads with VIP Service -- view this site ad free (subscription req'd)
Basic accounts are free -- sign up today!
Concerned About Privacy?
Journal/Blog - The Marquee - Movie Links - News and Events - Now Showing - Reader Reviews
Customize - VIP Service
|The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a service of SVJ Designs LLC. All graphics, layout, and structure of this service (unless otherwise specified) are Copyright © 1995-2016, SVJ Designs. The BigScreen Cinema Guide is a trademark of SVJ Designs. All rights reserved.|
'ACADEMY AWARDS®' and 'OSCAR®' are the registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.